Pixel chaos, what am I missing here

Scozza

New elf
My order for 1000 5V WS2811 from Ray Wu arrived today. I have tested about 15 strings so far and get nothing but a brief flash when the tester is powered up. Tested some of my existing 5V strings with the same tester & all works fine. I can't beleive I have a complete dud shipment, what am I missing folks?

Cheers,
Scott.

These ones: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1932874154.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4dLbmMDE

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
double check you have connections correct for the data, +5V and the -ve for the new strings
you may be able to see on the board inside the pixels Di, Dout and -ve to check your wiring configuration

Scozza

New elf
@Katekate I had considered that they put connectors on the wrong way round so I will knock together an adapter to test them again. Is there a standard configuration ie socket for data in - plug for data out?
Cheers,
Scott.

Scozza

New elf
Aaargh, they have the connectors opposite to my existing strings. Time to break out the soldering iron. That blows my cunning plan, to keep it simple and waterproof with self sealing tape, right out of the water. I might just pull the tree apart and wire it with these new pixels and use the old ones on some of the Aussie critter props I'm working on.

Mental note to self: don't let the excitement of getting 1000 new pixels in time to actually build something override the basics of checking everything first :)

Cheers,
Scott

@LawrenceDriveLights @Katekate