Pixel fire

JulianLights

Apprentice elf
Hi all. Had this happen to one of my pixels the other day, 12v regulated, 3rd pixel in the string, bought back in 2020 and second year running. Haven’t had any other issues with the same batch of pixels that I have noticed so far (touch wood) other than the odd single colour not working. Was lucky I noticed it too as it was during the day and I was only out checking something else with only the controller power on and no sequence running when I smelt the smoke. I also have to give credit to the coro from ELD as despite the pixel almost entirely burnt out the coro did not catch fire.
The question I have is whether there is any point in contacting the supplier, either to notify them of the issue or to seek some kind of replacement for the string of lights? Given it is the second year running the pixel, there could be any number of factors that contributed to this but given the spate of pixel fires last year I thought I would reach out to get peoples opinions.
Also, I won’t name the supplier here, this is the first and only issue I have had with any of their products and I don’t think it necessary to name and shame them for something that could be the result of any number of factors.FE15C675-13FF-44D8-A631-B03BA460D4C8.jpeg27CFCA30-E428-488B-87B8-2A39D0ACDC85.jpeg7C12EE07-AE31-494B-8C28-83E55826AC89.jpeg

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
only you can decide it it's worth the time and energy, despite all the epoxy it is still likely moisture caused the issue. Maybe a polite note with photo.

I have had it happen in the past, mine was physically on fire during the display
Picture1.jpg

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The site mentioned in the pixel survey report is https://www.pixel.report/ . 2020 was a bad year for pixel manufacture with a lot of failures which have mainly been attributed to water ingress due to epoxy failures.

bpratt

Senior elf
most of my pixel issues can be mostly traced back to a batch I bought in 2020 from Ray Wu.... I have a couple of pixels like your burnt out one too, and from the same batch as my failed ones.

That said, I haven't really had problems with Ray Wu pixels before.

JulianLights

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the replies everyone. Might be worthwhile putting in a report on that site but probably won’t chase it up with the vendor, it’s been this long and with no other issues it could just be a solitary case

JulianLights

Apprentice elf
I only ever run them at 30-40% intensity though I have everything designed as though they are running at 100% intensity, eg fusing, power injection etc. But I guess even with this design I can’t stop things like this occurring especially with all the rain we are getting at the moment water ingress could be a real issue I will have to keep an eye out for

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
What intensity were the pixels running at? Just wondering if a 100% intensity will be more likely to cause this.
The % intensity got firmly debunked in the 2020 pixel survey video, with the only basic conclusion being that it could change which pixel in a string got impacted.
The fact there were fires on powered but unlit pixels supports that as well, the current that is available once a short occurs is a limit on the wire gauge and distance not voltage or intensity.
it was a long video to wade through but at least to me it was one of the best videos i've watched from that channel.

Cheers
Phil

JulianLights

Apprentice elf
That is a good point Phil, my pixels were powered but unlit when it started smoking.
If nothing else this experience has removed my complacency that despite the lights being low voltage they can still be dangerous due to low quality or the power requirements not being handled properly

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
That is a good point Phil, my pixels were powered but unlit when it started smoking.
If nothing else this experience has removed my complacency that despite the lights being low voltage they can still be dangerous due to low quality or the power requirements not being handled properly
I'm glad you noticed it, I have seen some bad ones. this worries me every night

Hi guys as i see your both may be relatively new to the hobby let me provide some old man wisdom and a little sanity check.
In no particular order
  • Even after the pixel I had burn posted above I have never turned the display off, it would/will typically run 21 to 28 days 24x7
  • In that time over the years i have lost a few pixels to water, maybe more than i care to remember as quality was patchy 11yrs ago when i started with pixels.
  • Not one of the pixels has subsequently caught fire, had a few shorts that resulted in hot power injection cables, maybe the odd charred one but no fires.
  • The megatrees have unfused 100A 5v supplies running them, still no fires... am i lucky... maybe
  • The point of the above and clearly made also in the video is that you have to be a small sweet spot for melting and flames, too close and the fuse should blow (fusing is good) too far along the string and voltage drop saves the day
  • Be alert and aware but don't be alarmed.
Just to add Julian you are spot on that even 5 volts with high current can be interesting if your not careful though all modern SMPS's will themselves go into automatic shutdown for over current and over voltage.

Have a great season and please don't worry too much, as a percentage of the overall pixels in use, issues are very very low.

Cheers
Phil