pixel node matrix Vs strip matrix

nato595

Let's do this!
I prefer nodes to strip strictly for the fact that repairs to bad poxels are much faster and easier for me on wired then the strip.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
How waterproof are the nodes you get from Ray. Are they alright or do you need to put sealant on each one as a safety measure.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Both of my matrix's are 24v supply with 24v - 12v buck convertors on the back of them. That way all the injection wires are a maximum of 1m long.

This is 12v nodes into 12mm wire mesh, they did need a small tweak of the wire to lock them in place.

Window%20Matrix%20Mesh1.jpg

This one is 30 rolls of 12v INK1003 strips, about 1200 zip ties on a steel frame with black coro.

Hedge%20Matrix%202015.jpg

mborg10

Michael Borg
BundyRoy said:
How waterproof are the nodes you get from Ray. Are they alright or do you need to put sealant on each one as a safety measure.
I used rays square type pixel not the bullet type with wires coming out the back for my mega tree. There were in the middle of my yard for 12 months with no added protection and didn't have any waterproofing issues.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451967036.542785.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451967036.542785.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 25

andrewa

Full time elf
BundyRoy said:

I had 25 % failure rate with silicone filled, and 0.5% failure rate with epoxy resin filled, so now I only get epoxy resin filled bullets and square nodes.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
AussieDoug said:
Both of my matrix's are 24v supply with 24v - 12v buck convertors on the back of them. That way all the injection wires are a maximum of 1m long.

This is 12v nodes into 12mm wire mesh, they did need a small tweak of the wire to lock them in place.

This one is 30 rolls of 12v INK1003 strips, about 1200 zip ties on a steel frame with black coro.

Doug I'd be interested to know which matrix you prefer and why. Did you change from one type to the other (when you made the second matrix) for a reason and did it achieve what you hoped.

Gilrock

Full time elf
If it helps you decide my display has both styles. The tree on the left is bullet nodes and the tree on the right is strips. I believe my node tree had around 4" vertical spacing. This video shows Logan's Star Wars sequence I adapted to my display and if you start at the 1:06 mark you can watch the same animations playing on both trees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rw8INjbzZs

kit-808

New elf
Nice set up Gilrock, each tree has its own for and against when you look at the display

thanks for making the decision even harder :D ::) :eek: :-\

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AussieDoug said:

So which one did you find to be easier to make and what is your personal prefence

AussieDoug

Full time elf
BundyRoy said:
Doug I'd be interested to know which matrix you prefer and why. Did you change from one type to the other (when you made the second matrix) for a reason and did it achieve what you hoped.

2 years ago I made the node matrix as 12 x 60 with 10cm spacing's & the definition was terrible. So they got moved from the front to the window, gained over 100 pixels to end up at 24 x 34 & reduced the spacing's to 5cm.

Seeing we were unhappy with how dense the front one was we went with the INK strip, this was mainly due to how close it is to the road. Easier to install, less injection & higher definition.

Personally feel the strip matrix was an easier build. Under 12hrs from start to finish & was so much better visually.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Doug for the feedback. I have a 10 x 90 matrix with ink strip. Didn't like it at first due to problems with repairs to strip but now that I have learnt not to disconnect lights with power on and better waterproofing options it's a lot better. Don't seem to have issues other than the odd solder give out where ray has joined strip. So much happier. I like the resolution too.

Thanks Gilrock for the comparison video. You can see a difference between the two types although at the end of the day I think it may be more to do with led spacing then led type.