Pixel Problems

dougd

Full time elf
Looking for any and all solutions, i will try any thing.

I bought about 80 of the following nodes

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/promotion-DC5V-WS2811-controlled-12mm-diameter-led-pixel-node-50pcs-a-string-with-black-wire-injection/701799_804958154.html

I have 12 trees i put 4 sets on them on, 200 pixels per tree. When i soldiered the string together this summer lights tested fine. When i put on trees 2 weeks ago they worked fine. During that week it rained 1 time and when i turned them on after that, the pixels would go white partially up the string and those pixels are able to be controlled at that point.

Figuring it was a moisture problem i pulled the strings off the trees brought them in to the garage and proceeded to silicon each and every one of those 4800 pixels. Put back on trees Saturday, they worked ok, tested maybe 1 hour. Sunday morning finished putting lights on trees, all 12 trees lit perfectly, tested maybe 2 hours.

It rained hard yesterday. I turned trees on this evening and within 20 minutes 4 of the trees were flashing white at different points within the strands of 200 pixels.

As much silicon as i put on those pixels I find it hard to believe they were having a problem that quickly.

Anyone happen to have any other theorys on what might be happening.

I am injecting power every 50 pixels.

Something else i noticed this evening, first night i have powered everything up, several pixels were on, here and there, not at full intensity. These are 12 volt strips.

Do I have a power problem, something going to ground somewhere?

I am pulling my hair out, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder i Ray has strips in stock :(

Thanks.

JPB

Full time elf
I had a similar symptoms the year before last.
Are the pixels epoxy sealed or is it more of a silicon type covering around the body of the pixel (solid or squishy?).

I had the silicon body type and water was getting in around the lens. After half and hour or so of operation they would start to muck up, turn them off and let them "cool down" and then they were okay again. Looking carefully at the pixel that was mucking up or the one before it and I could see rust (brown stuff) starting to form.

My fix was to cut the bad ones out and put C9 covers on them for last year. This year I bought the epoxy sealed ones and I am putting the covers back on them to be sure.

Jon