Pixel purchase advise

CarlosF

New elf
Hi Everyone,

Carlos from the Sunshine Coast, QLD - Been on here for a little while and already had some great tips from members about getting a controller board. I purchased a QuinLed Octa and started my build(see attached). All going well. Just going through the process. Should be done in a week or so.

Now I'm hunting around for pixels - Found a bunch and wanted some advise if they would do the trick for my first year display.

My plan is simple this year - Frame the house gutters and construct leaping arches prop.

I found these -
Any advise on the actual pixels to pick up would be fab!!

Cheers,
Carlos

Attachments

• IMG_4567.jpg
    IMG_4567.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33

scamper

Dedicated elf
I have almost always used the cheap pixels similar to what you have shown basically because I run on a very tight budget and don't have a problem with making my own extensions etc.
A lot of people will point you to vendors such as Ray Wu and the like as they have a better quality control, often thicker wire gauge and pigtails already attached. Most of the local distributors sell these vendors pixels.
If you are on a budget and can and are willing to do the work, then there is no problem using the cheaper pixels as listed, but also bare in mind that as they have (usually) thinner wires, you may also require more power injection. Also if you chop and change between vendors, you will find they often have different wiring and RGB orders, so test them before you hook them up to make sure it is what you expect.

CarlosF

New elf
Thanks chaps…. I dont mind doing the work get them up to speed. I kind of assumed that if i was going to fiddle with the length to fit the gutters there would be some chopping, changing and soldiering. Good tip on the RGB wiring with vendors. I was going to buy 1000 pixels and that would get me through this year- Don’t want to break the bank😳

Happy to look at more cost effective options. Any other suppliers happy to look at.

Cheers

scamper

Dedicated elf
There are heaps around that price. The trick is to look at one then the app will give you suggestions. look at the ones that you have to pay freight also and even if it is 500 then add a second lot sometimes they double the freight, sometimes they give a discount and you can end up with 1000 at a cheaper total price. Also bare in mind however that you will get GST added to the price when you go to check out.

Iain

Full time elf
If you ping ETOP (good brand many of us have purchased before) on AliExpress, they’ll give you a better than advertised price if you go direct through them for these 5v WS2811 pixels, in lots of 500. This listing is sent from Melbourne so will arrive quickly. You have to pay via PayPal direct, but if you’re not comfortable with that, you can still purchase them from AliExpress for the listed price.

CarlosF

New elf
If you ping ETOP (good brand many of us have purchased before) on AliExpress, they’ll give you a better than advertised price if you go direct through them for these 5v WS2811 pixels, in lots of 500. This listing is sent from Melbourne so will arrive quickly. You have to pay via PayPal direct, but if you’re not comfortable with that, you can still purchase them from AliExpress for the listed price.
Thank heaps Iain I had a quick look and dropped them a message. 👍

Iain

Full time elf
Word of warning, my last purchase from ETOP through AliExpress was just cancelled a few minutes ago due to seller inactivity.
Ok to be fair they just got back to me—they were out of stock and I got a full refund through Ali.

Iain

Full time elf
Have the issues with pixel failures been resolved? My last lot from here had way too many failures
I heard from Paul that most of the failures were from the 2022 midyear bulk buy. I purchased a couple of thousand at the beginning of 2022, and although I haven’t put them outside yet, all my tests have been running fine. Paul has also switched to another supplier since then.

Still, YMMV. I generally hear that the quality has gone down since five years ago across most suppliers. Contact him on his website and I’m sure he’ll give you an honest rundown of the current state.