pixel Reindeers

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction

My crazy light lady has spent some time putting pixels on our old led reindeers 3 more to do at this stage anyways (as it seems most years they miraculously multiply during the off season lol) so we have used 12v 2811 nodes roughly 150 per reindeer smallest front one 130 and bigger one 163 nodes . So anyways has been the plan to do for sometime now and was really concerned how the heck im going to create a custom model in xlights luckily we had keith at our adelaide mini thanks again keith ! He showed us different ways of generating custom models . Was a little tricky but eventually worked it out first reindeer was by far the hardest over three days I finally got it ! So used generate custom model in xlights and video the test pattern tried different background light situations dark room light room etc found room lights on with no reflective background was best used big dark colored blanket was best in the end oh and also video Reindeers at an angle to be able too see all four legs separated and see horn area on head easily . So then I tried to automatic generate model nuup after many tries never going to happen would find multiple lights and many missing lights so then I went manual after many tries clicking on each individual light still having trouble i had success I found I had to lie to xlights as many of us knows xlights really dont care just wants to know roughly ! So the cure was too separate lights on the custom model I just made the models slightly bigger by clicking each light further apart at least crosshair distance on mouse pointer as being 3d reindeers very difficult to find all lights at rear of model etc and wallah it worked i saved and then in layout just made a couple nodes active was very relieved too say the least ! I made a model group chucked them in and had a play with a few effects and the video I have posted shows how they look ! So just be a little patient i think vid goes for 2.46 mins just showing a few options and yeah notice no butterfly effects lol as we all do that im sure ! And yes dont tell my crazy lady that even the grinch is little excited
Cheers guys

Last edited:

the grinch

Thanks lytnin . I also forgot to mention I m planning too put a red 12v led in a ping pong ball in Rudolphs nose cavity and have it constantly wired to the power injection point I reckon might be cool !:)

marmalade

cats & pixels
they look fantastic! Toyed with the idea last year (some half dead bunnings reindeers) but baulked at generating the models, much respect for persisting and working it out!

the grinch

they look fantastic! Toyed with the idea last year (some half dead bunnings reindeers) but baulked at generating the models, much respect for persisting and working it out!

Hey mate thankyou I was really apprehensive and you didn't hear this from me ! But was wifes idea so had too! Lol .
Has worked out well . Forget too mention once we removed old lights we resprayed them white again using 3 dollar spray cans from bunnings I did think of spraying them black which in hindsight maybe would be easier to model ? As was lots of reflection in test pattern ! But my concern was Australian summer heat plus painting over white will in time chip off peel etc etc . I am also going too point out I am extremely technological impaired and I did it without any help from my children lol

videoman3857

Full time elf
Wow. Those reindeer are super awesome.
I so gotta learn smart pixels.
All my lights match my IQ at the moment - They're all dumb. LOL
Brilliant work. ! and yes
Hey mate thankyou I was really apprehensive and you didn't hear this from me ! But was wifes idea so had too! Lol .
I have the same problem. Wife has the ideas. I just have to create and make it work - don't know who's got the hardest part of the job there.
Oh and being a Trekie I absolutely loved the blinky programming that made them look like they were materializing in a transporter beam

the grinch

here is a screenshot in xlights they sort of resemble reindeers good enough for me ! i will take some more screenshots of the process when i do the rest may help someone i figure . cheers
screen shot.PNG

pookie

New elf
My problem is I have got a couple of old Aldi reindeer in the shed, just cannot afford the lights to go on them at the moment. A project for the future.

Kitman

Full time elf
Maybe I need to go into business of making 3d reindeer wire frames hahaha. I have the wire and a sample reindeer just need to get myself a bender and I am set hmmmm.

Great work Grinch, I still need to order the lights to pixelize my reindeer too getting further behind at the moment but hopefully will order them soon and then the fun begins. I was thinking of having my frames powder coated, I contacted a place and he quoted me roughly $40 per each to strip them back and powder coat but when I sent him a picture I never got a reply lol maybe too hard will try another place.

the grinch

My problem is I have got a couple of old Aldi reindeer in the shed, just cannot afford the lights to go on them at the moment. A project for the future.

Hey yes unfortunately I understand as am not a millionaire due too my wifes lighting disease lol . But godbless her she has been buying lights in batches as we need from same supplier is costing roughly $60 per reindeer . Not sure but she probably spent more buying them brand new with led .s so am happy they have been recycled but look better than they ever did

the grinch

Maybe I need to go into business of making 3d reindeer wire frames hahaha. I have the wire and a sample reindeer just need to get myself a bender and I am set hmmmm.

Great work Grinch, I still need to order the lights to pixelize my reindeer too getting further behind at the moment but hopefully will order them soon and then the fun begins. I was thinking of having my frames powder coated, I contacted a place and he quoted me roughly $40 per each to strip them back and powder coat but when I sent him a picture I never got a reply lol maybe too hard will try another place.

Hey mate honestly no point in powder coating and as many will find powder coat can be the enemy when it cracks holds water underneath the skin and can cause further rust problems . But luckily for you and my wife with your xmas light addiction thingy .! Your props are out in the elements at the dryest hottest part of the year for 1 to 2 months of the year and stored undercover for the rest of year ! other option is too respray with cheap enamel cans as I have roughly $3 can from bunnings or go for much more expensive but better paint will be wattyl killrust or dulux rust guard both extremely great products personally prefer killrust but both around 17 to 20 dollars a can ! I wouldn't concern yourself about rust unless you leave them outside allyear ! They will more than likely outlast the lights we have our frames some of them are on 3rd set of led lights and would be over 10 yrs old so yeah don't cocern yourself too much mate
Cheers