1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Pixel Spacing

Discussion in '101 Display Basics' started by djgra79, Jan 13, 2019.

1. djgra79

djgra79 My name is Graham & I love flashing lights! Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Thought I'd record a video showing the difference between pixel spacing and what different looks can be achieved.
    In the below video I have 3 different types of pixel spacing when using something such as Boscoyo Chromatrim or mounting strip (this was my own home made coro strip, manually punched into 3mm coro)
    * On the left is my existing (and soon to be replaced) 30/10 pixel strip. This strip has 3x LEDs per pixel and 10 pixels per meter.
    * The top right section are nodes at 2inch spacing (~5cm) so this would end up being approx. 20 pixels per meter, essentially double the pixel resolution, but only 2/3 the number of visible LEDs.
    * The bottom right section are nodes at 3in spacing (~7.6cm) so this would end up being approx. 13 pixel per meter. Only slightly better resolution than the strip but only 1/3 the number of visible LEDs.
    When I'm at the bottom of the driveway the viewing distance is around 6-7m away. In reality my most common viewing distance would be parked across the road, so more likely 10-15m away.

Keen to hear people's thoughts on what they have used on their own displays and why. Its a topic that comes up a fair amount of times and I don't recall seeing a visual example of what the differences are, so thought I'd do this not only for my own benefit but for the wider community too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v10dbAiWlIA

deanneat and Emersonlights like this.
  2. Cranzy

Cranzy New Elf

I Like the 2" spacing :)

3. BigRedNole

BigRedNole New Elf

Personally, I do not like the strip lights. That's just me though. I am going with the pixel nodes and trying to determine spacing. My original thought was 3", but thinking 4 or 6" as well. I will do a similar test as you did and have them at varying spacing to see what I think looks good from my viewers distance.

4. Emersonlights

Emersonlights New Elf

Thank you that was very handy makes me happy with my decision for 2 inch spacing being able to see it like that.

5. deanneat

deanneat New Elf

yeah I was working out what to do - I'm thinking the same as Emerson - 2" looks good

6. jjBrisvegas

jjBrisvegas New Elf Generous Elf

Always an interesting conversation ;-)
    I have found personally that I like the strip lights for the arches - just seems to be a better ambiance. My windows and gables are 2" spaced nodes in trunking which is suffice I suspect, as are my megatree strings. The new matrix this year is 1" spacing so will be the full 4k nodes. Whilst I would like to use square nodes, the bullets are so much cheaper...It really does boil down to how much $ you want to throw at it versus look and ease of production...

7. Robbo

Robbo Full Time Elf Generous Elf

Thanks DJ, great timing, as I consider for my first year in pixels whether square, bullet or strip and what spacings would be appropriate, I was guessing at 2"/50mm but seeing your visual comparison has confirmed for me that 2' would be good, as I see it next to the strip which was my original idea, the 2' spacing of nodes equates to 20 nodes a meter or 1 string of 100 nodes per 5m strip, and essentially get a comparable effect.

Boof63 likes this.
  8. Boof63

Boof63 Senior Elf Generous Elf

Also thinking of changing to bullets from strip, reckon 2" is much better resolution and for gifs/video. miles in front.
    thanks for the heads up , now i have to convince the finance officer ,cheers Boof63

9. Dez

Dez Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You! Generous Elf

I like the 2 inch (50mm) spacing personally. I was going to make a matrix with a 2 inch spacing but wasn’t sure how that would look at 14 metres away. I guess the more the better. Does anyone have photos of a matrix with 2 inch spacings?

10. Tonyf1949

Tonyf1949 New Elf

I have a 1200 pixel matrix 50x24 spaced at 50mm. Looks good from a distance but if finances had have allowed I would have gone 25mm. But it all depends on viewing distance. 50mm gets me two matrixes compared to one of the 25mm for the same price.