Pixel Strip Matrix

Daniel1973

Full time elf
Hi all in ACL,

I am hoping to get some help. In my first yr of CLAP , I am looking at a pixel matrix, using pixel strip and a ECG P2. With my limited Christmas light experience, can anyone suggest a good set od LED pixel strips to order from Ray.

Having a quick look at WS2801 and S2811 12vdc strips they indicate can be cut every 3, noting this are they then grouped by 3 when light? as this will be no good for my Matrix.

As always all help is greatly appreciated.

Daniel

Habbosrus

Back again
What kind of matrix are you hoping to do? I have a 2d Ray tree that is effectively a vertical matrix. It is 12 strips of the 12v w2811 x mtrs high and looks great. I also have a horizontal matrix from ws2812b 5v strip 30 led/mtr. Last year it was 20 rows x 75 pixels (2.5 mtr wide). This year I doubled the height to 40 rows.
Both look great for different reasons.
To answer your question, yes, they are grouped by 3 when lit.

Daniel1973

Full time elf
Hi,
Thanks for you reply,

Just a flat matrix to put up and have words and count down and the like. Does it still perform with the grouping(3) for the matrix with words scrolling across?

I have seen your pics you put up and that is the way I was looking at doing it, originally was using WS2811 pixels, now not too sure. Just unsure of the finished product.. Still learning the ropes

Daniel

Habbosrus

Back again
The 12v 3led/1ic will still work as a matrix just fine. How big are you thinking? Do you have a size in mind? If you're wanting to mainly scroll text, a smaller matrix will be fine. You could get away with 5 rows if you wanted to. However, if you want to do some other effects or animation, you may want to look at 12 rows or so. How wide are you thinking? Half a strip is 2.5 mtrs wide and will be visible from quite a distance. If you use the 12v 3led/1ic and make a 12 row x 2.5 mtr matrix, you will only have to program 300 pixels. My new matrix is 3000 pixels ( I hope I get to use it this year)
You may wish to go big right the word go and there's nothing wrong with that. Have a think about the size you want your matrix to be and let us know. I have just tried to give some examples. The first year is daunting, but it gets a little easier as you go.

i13

Dedicated elf
The 12V strips have their LEDs in groups of 3 when lit. The only exception is the INK strip but it's expensive and no-one seems to be sure what lengths it can be cut into.
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=5371
It's not all bad that the LEDs are grouped though. It means that the controller supports three times the number of LEDs.

What length do you want the strips to be and how many pixels or LEDs per metre? 5V strips are more likely to need extra power injection but they are a cheaper way to get individual LED control. It is also possible to use DC-DC converters to eliminate voltage drop between the power supply and strips.

Regardless of which strip you choose, you will need some power injection. The P2 can't handle the current that the strips draw.

I would suggest preparing a spare strip that can be quickly swapped if you get a dud pixel. The reason for this is that all pixels after the dud one can stop receiving data until the dud one is replaced and the P2 has a lot of pixels per output. Having said that, strip may be more reliable than nodes. I didn't get a single dud pixel last year using 26 metres of 12V 2811 strip.

Daniel1973

Full time elf
Habbosrus said:
The 12v 3led/1ic will still work as a matrix just fine. How big are you thinking? Do you have a size in mind? If you're wanting to mainly scroll text, a smaller matrix will be fine. You could get away with 5 rows if you wanted to. However, if you want to do some other effects or animation, you may want to look at 12 rows or so. How wide are you thinking? Half a strip is 2.5 mtrs wide and will be visible from quite a distance. If you use the 12v 3led/1ic and make a 12 row x 2.5 mtr matrix, you will only have to program 300 pixels. My new matrix is 3000 pixels ( I hope I get to use it this year)
You may wish to go big right the word go and there's nothing wrong with that. Have a think about the size you want your matrix to be and let us know. I have just tried to give some examples. The first year is daunting, but it gets a little easier as you go.

I was thinking of a frame that is approx 1800 mm wide by 1200 mm high. however if Ray can make to order I guess 2000 mm wide by 1200 high, would be a decent size.

Noting that the matrix looks fine with the WS2811 3LED/1ic

I was looking at http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5m-DC12V-WS2811-150LEDs-10pixes-m-WHITE-PCB-led-digital-strip-IP66-waterproof-in-silicon-tube/32269479779.html

or even
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5m-DC12V-60leds-m-20pcs-ws2811-ic-meter-20pixels-led-digital-strip-IP68-waterproof-in-silicon/1921783413.html

These will be used on ECG P2 with power injection. Or are there any other suggestions which will look good in the matrix, allowing for correct row spacing ( allowing for grid consistency.).

Daniel

Boof63

Senior elf
Used ink1003 12v for my matrix same as Habby's, 20 strings X 75 pix,
I got ray to solder on pigtails and used Habby t converters to input power.
Was run on pixlite 4 , once over initial hiccups it worked a treat
here are strips
(http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5m-DC12V-INK1003-led-pixel-srip-IP68-30pcs-1002led-5050-RGB-with-bulit-in-INK1003-IC/1881686884.html)
Pixel spacing allowed me to position pixels 3.3cm apart, so looking across form street video was distinguishable as night gets darker. Other effects worked a breeze (using HLS for sequence + Nutcracker for effects),
cheers Boof63 8) 8)

Daniel1973

Full time elf
Habbosrus said:
What kind of matrix are you hoping to do? I have a 2d Ray tree that is effectively a vertical matrix. It is 12 strips of the 12v w2811 x mtrs high and looks great. I also have a horizontal matrix from ws2812b 5v strip 30 led/mtr. Last year it was 20 rows x 75 pixels (2.5 mtr wide). This year I doubled the height to 40 rows.
Both look great for different reasons.
To answer your question, yes, they are grouped by 3 when lit.

Habby,

Which WS2812B did you use (Ray???) do you have the link

Daniel