Pixel Support from J1Sys - GECE, WS2811

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
we do not currently support GECE. whether we will support is still unknown.

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
Ed --

Can we at least get a date when you'll know whether you're going to support GECE as well as WS2811??

I still have to buy quite a bit of stuff in support of my 2012 display. I already have GECE so I absolutely need to control those. I also planned on switching new purchases to 2811 so native support would be a huge plus. I can't afford to have a glitchy display.

If it's not going to happen (before September-October of this year) then I need to start thinking about alternate plans.

Thanx!

angus40

Senior elf
j1sys said:
well, you can take the WS2811 to +99%. I played with some this afternoon and they appear to work fine on the TM180X protocol at 2400kbps.

Technically the TM180X protocol is a 1:2 vs 2:1 (total 3 time periods) ratio. that doesn't match the specs for the WS2811 but it seems to work fine.

I'm going to implement a 1:3 vs 3:1 (total 4 time periods) ratio. It is still not match the spec but I bet it will work very well with the WS2811 and may even be the newer standard for the TM180X. I will leave TM180X at 1:2/2:1 and do WS2811 at 1:3/3:1. then people can play. if we need to go to 1:4/3:2 (which is closest to the spec) then we can, but I don't think it will be necessary.

-Ed
Did You read this Bill ?

j1sys

I wish it was all done. That is the only SURE thing.

WS2811 and the other TM18xx variations will be FULLY supported in native mode on all pixel units as soon as possible. We would expect early August.

Whether the GECE is either technically possibly and its time line is still not known. It uses a very weird protocol, but more importantly, requires a complex initialization sequence at start-up. Since this is the only pixel string we have worked with that requires the initialization sequence we are concerned with the stability and usefulness in case of interruption of signal. We have some GECE lights on loan now from one of our customers and hope to play with them as soon as the current round of hardware production gets stable and down to just order fulfillment. We would be wrong to promise a delivery schedule on this product at this time. If your show requires the GECE we can not in good conscience promise it will be available soon or at any time in the future.

-Ed

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
Ed --

Thanx for the speedy reply as always. I can hold out a bit longer. If you guys don't have GECE figured out before long my only option may be to buy an E681 just for those :( I'd much rather run all of the same hardware.

Regardless I'm I still need another P12R or 3. Unless I can figure out how to make a new P2s work for my needs. I'm still not sure about powering and connecting a fuse and stuff. I'm still VERY new to all of this DIY electrical.

j1sys

was talking this over with Phil this morning (my time). one option that may make it more easily doable will be to make a custom application firmware version that will ONLY do GECE. Then some of the timing constrainsts could be more easily locked down. So you could choose which application firmware to download into the unit GECE or everything else. Later other pixel types might go this path.

-Ed

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
I wouldn't mind that approach provided it worked across the ECG line (P2 / P12R). That way you'd have some flexibility in how many strings you could drive while keeping cost under control.