Pixel tree around a real tree trunk?

gwilki22

New elf
Hi all,

Just getting into the pixel world, thinking of doing a little project for next year to incorporate into my traditional holiday display and build on that as time goes on.

Has anyone ever built a mega tree around a real tree trunk? I searched the forum and found 1 person that was thinking of it but didn't say if they actually did it.

I have 3 young (~3 years old) oak trees in my front yard. The trunks are maybe 4 inches in diameter and straight up to ~5' where they split. I was thinking of making 5 small "mega" trees with the top being at that split. Was wondering if anyone has done anything similar, how they built it, how it looked, etc.

Thanks!

vk3heg

Full time elf
Just do it! :) I used to run four rope lights up and on branches of a silver birch at the old house. The people coming to see the display always commented on it, saying it looked great.

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Yeah let us know if you do it. I have a medium size tree in my front yard but not sure how to incorporate it

tom82

New elf
I have a pixel trees (of sorts). Not megatree format with strands but I simply wrap the trunks. It may be another option for you.

The trees are wrapped in strings of 1000 pixels (power injection every 2 strings). Consumes a lot of power but always a talking point.

Good luck.

Video:

View: https://vimeo.com/308765467

MrX

New elf
Yep like above, just give it a go. My place doesn't have a standard streetscape so have had to be creative for much of that I put out. Some things worked a treat and some things didn't work as well as I wanted which just gives me stuff to work on. If you can picture it and think you can build it than give it a crack and post the results :) I've got 4 tall palm trees, I put 4m long pixelified conduit up each trunk with a star at the top. Worked well

Romerio

New elf
I've got a strand of pixels wrapped around a wattle tree in my yard. It's just modeled as a single straight line, I'm not sure what else I can do with it, A spiral tree is a possibility, but I'm not sure I don't think it would map correctly, because its across a number of branches.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.