Pixel Tree Layout

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Whilst waiting for quotes over the long weekend I thought I would draw up my plans for the pixel tree so I can better visualise how things fit and the layout of the pixels.

I also thought this drawing may help me down the track if I try to sequence a particular shape into the tree. I can put the shape on the drawing and see which pixels/channels need to be turned on. May be of no use to me, I don't really know yet but I like to work with drawings and it doesn't take long to do.

Anyway in the process of aligning my led strips I realised that if I get a nice spread at the bottom and narrow it at the top so it looks like a good Christmas tree shape, then the pixels will no longer align in the horizontal plane. I figure this must have been overcome by many before me I just hadn't thought of the issue yet.

I realise if I align the middle pixel I can half the misalignment at each end as opposed to aligning the base and having a bigger misalignment at the top.

Just checked my drawing (after writing above) to see how much the misalignment was. I've drawn my tree (10 strips x3m) so that there is 80mm between strips at base and 20mm at top. This doesn't give a very tree like shape (needs wider base). With this layout the alignment is out by about 1/2 pixel (15mm) at top and bottom in the vertical axis. I guess it's not worth worrying about now I measure it. But it would get worse if I tighten the top spacing or spread the base to make it more like a Christmas tree shape.

I guess the issue now becomes how far can the strips be apart before you loose the ability to make clear shapes like santas face.

Sorry for bringing up an issue that has probably been solved many times before. It's new to me and I figure it is best to work with the collective experience if possible rather than get the experience by trial and error (and maybe still not come up with the best solution by myself).

I'm starting to think I may have to let go of the engineer in me a bit. Maybe it's alright not to have everything perfectly aligned or maybe I would be better off either giving up on the idea of images or just do a matrix with close spacing.

Habbosrus

Back again
My 12 x 30 (3mtr) tree is 20mm at the top and 100mm at the base. Everything looked fine on mine. Remember your viewers won't be standing up that close to it (well, some might).

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Maybe post up your drawing so we could have a look, Im not sure how you could have horizontal misalignment if your using strip?
maybe Ive missed something??

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I've attached the drawing. The first is the whole tree. It is based on 4m lengths of conduit basically touching at the top and 100mm spacing at bottom. I've aligned the middle of the 3m strips and then drawn in the pixels from there. I've only shown the pixels on one half of the tree. They are 30 LED/m so 3.33cm apart.

The second drawing shows the misalignment I was trying to describe. It turns out to be much less than I first thought at only 5mm if you align from the centre. Hence like others have said not worth worrying about.

I'm guessing the wider you stretch the 100mm spacing the less effective the tree becomes if you are trying to use it as a bit of a matrix. So from what others have said, 100mm it is.

PS. Got to tell someone. My lights ordered and on their way soon. I just hope I get this level of excitement every time I order lights. Not just the first time.

Attachments

• Whole Tree - 100mm base spacing.pdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Pixel Misalignment - 5mm.pdf
    2.2 KB · Views: 42

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
The excitement is great, the bills coming in for all these great toys is the downer side - LOL!