Pixel tree specifications

DougieB

Full time elf
I disagree
I was able to display test on my matrix tree with 3leds per pixel. It all depends on your viewing distance. Would love to post video, unfortunately my video camera died. Have been trying to find any of the people that stopped and took footage

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Mimir said:
I used some of the 12 volt strips for my mini mega last year. If you are wanting to display text, then you do not want the 1 ic per 3 led strips as it will be impossible to display text on them. I am going to get the 5 volt 1 ic per led strips this year.
DougieB said:
I disagree
I was able to display test on my matrix tree with 3leds per pixel. It all depends on your viewing distance. Would love to post video, unfortunately my video camera died. Have been trying to find any of the people that stopped and took footage

+1

In my display i use lots of text and I use all 3 LEDs per IC 12vdc strip. The viewing distance is whats important here

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Greg.Ca said:
Mimir said:
I used some of the 12 volt strips for my mini mega last year. If you are wanting to display text, then you do not want the 1 ic per 3 led strips as it will be impossible to display text on them. I am going to get the 5 volt 1 ic per led strips this year.

The smartest thing I have read on these forums: See above!! If you want to display text (and who doesen't) then you do NOT want to get the pixels strips that have 3 LED's per 1 IC (12VDC strips). If you DO want to display text (and everybody does) then get 5VDC strips!!! That's why I am buying only 5VDC strips!!--Greg--

See the gap between the strips in a tree give you limitations to how you draw the text, so by using the 5vdc strip i dont think you will achieve a much better text resolution because your still bound by the gaps between the strips and how may strips are used.
The strip tree with the 3 leds is a resolution of 12 x 50, the single pixel is 12 x 150, so in the end you havent really increased the resolution by doing this as far as scrolling text is concerned going across a tree. all you have achieved is a higher resolution for the hieght of a tree and text is normally put on scrolling across instead of up and down

smeighan

Dedicated elf
I agree that text can be drawn on strips that have three pixels grouped together.

Flex strips have 1.3" vert spacing, strings have 3-4" spacing. In the software we just output a matrix assuming square dimensions in X and Y. The exact same file will just looked stretched in the Y axis.

Since you end up with 6-10" spacing on a megatee I found that my text was squashed since on my 1809 flex strips I was using the small vertical spacing.

I am not as concerned with text effects as effects like snowstorm, snowflakes. This is where I will see the difference in individual pixels (like my 1809's) vs the ws2811's grouped in these.

I think all will look ok, just try them or look for videos with the different strings

Sean