pixels and using pvc and zip ties for windows frames question

fxdwg

New elf
hello fellow Christmas light lunatics!! :)
quick question, I am about to pull the trigger on an order from raywu that includes the following pixels... (784989323 DC12V input WS2811 pixel node,100pcs a string,IP68 rated;with all white wires (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-WS2811-pixel-node-100pcs-a-string-IP68-rated-with-all-white-wires/701799_784989323.html)
before I do, I have never used this type of pixel before (square body with wires out of each side), I have PVC frames made for each of my windows, and I want to use zip ties on each pixel on each side of the base. can I get your input on if this is the correct type of pixel for this application? originally I planned on using RGB strip, but I don't want to have to deal with cutting and soldering wires to make the corners. also, I do not plan to use any c9 caps or anything on these, I am ok with the looks of just the LED pixel showing.
thoughts?
I am attaching a pic of what I had in mind, but using pixels not c9 sockets. this is not my pic, fyi. thanks for any help in advance. long time lurker, first time poster. have learned a ton from everyone on here.

-troy

jediknight2

Full time elf
First off, I use those exact pixels, except mine have the multi-color wires. I also used them the exact same way you are describing. They worked well. However, if you look around you will find that those pixels do have a weak point where the LED meets the silicone jacket. I inspected each of my strands and had a few on each strand that showed water intrusion. In my opinion, that is well within reason. With that though, I decided to spend the extra 15 bux per strand this time and buy the Technicolor pixels from Ray. They appear to be tighter around the LED and have a UV jacket around the wiring and pixel. Mine show signs of UV damage, just fading, nothing causing a failure.

IF you stay with what you linked to, I would HIGHLY suggest you buy something like Rubber Dip UV Clear and spray the pixels to seal up that joint area. You could also use silicone to seal it, which is what I'm going to do. NOW, this was a known issue last year and Ray knew about it and was addressing it, so those pixels might be better sealed now...

fxdwg

New elf
thanks for the FAST response. I saw the Technicolor pixels you mention, but I don't see them in white wire. I know ray will do custom orders, but I would rather not wait that long. I don't mind hitting them with additional silicon if that will extend their life and seal them better.

if you don't mind me asking, do you know the spacing between pixels by chance? just trying to make sure I buy enough of these buggers to do all of my windows.

thanks.

Dave H

Apprentice elf
fxdwg said:
thanks for the FAST response. I saw the Technicolor pixels you mention, but I don't see them in white wire. I know ray will do custom orders, but I would rather not wait that long.
thanks.

I all ready inquired with Ray regarding the Technicolor in white. He said it could not be manufactured. I find that hard to believe but maybe he was referring to as it being a special request.

Skunberg

Full time elf
White has problems with uv with some plastics. Ray may have been talking about that.