Pixels in real trees

daunce

Full time elf
@buzzdude Sorry I didn't make it back to the Melbourne Mini on the Sunday, but we were discussing the lights in your trees. Are you able to post some pics here?

I'm curious to see if you let the lights dangle free, or somehow keep them close to the trunk/branch.

Thanks.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I planned on making a pixel real tree last year. I had 1 of my trees picked out to put the lights on but I didn't really come up with a solution that worked for me. In the end I got too tyred and gave up on the idea and the following day knocked together a standard pixel megatree. I still may do that tree with pixels but I am yet to come up with a method of attaching the strings to the trees.

buzzdude

Full time elf
@buzzdude Sorry I didn't make it back to the Melbourne Mini on the Sunday, but we were discussing the lights in your trees. Are you able to post some pics here?

I'm curious to see if you let the lights dangle free, or somehow keep them close to the trunk/branch.

Thanks.
Hi Mate

Here is a bad video of the tree in action.

View: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1934895733486321&id=100008977391271&sfnsn=mo

Essentially I use cable ties to hold the strings on each branch. Not too tight as the tree benda in the wind. I have a custom model in xlights, that roughly is the same as the tree. I try to start the strings and the same spot on the bottom, then climb the tree and attach. I have 5 strings at 5 metre length and 7 at 4 metres. The nodes are the square ones, so they sit flat against the trunk.

I'll see if I can find some pics and add them.

Thanks
Shane

burnt

Full time elf
I have a silver birch tree that has about 800 nodes in it, I too made a custom model that has 24 strings.
I've gone away from using cable ties and placed a wire hook at the end of the string. to hold it in place I just wrap the string around the branch 1 or 2 times. it works well for high branches.

videoman3857

Full time elf
Our American friends are into stringing trees big time.
Most of them just wrap the lights around the trees.
I have done the wrap of trees with the Bunniings/ Woolies/ Aldi fairy lights and have found you can not wrap the strings too tight.
Unlike our Northern Hemisphere friends who's trees are dormant during their Christmas month of December, we are the opposite, and the tree continues to grow so we must allow for both branch/tree movement and girth growth.
I wrapped my lights around Umbrella and Poinciana trees with what I thought was enough slack. By the end of the December the Wires were quite tight.