Pixicles in action

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kane said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
These just may become the thing to have for 2013. Awsome

Eddy, you're always so negative. Surely there's enough time for us to build these for this year??
Plenty of time ;) but no money :(
Im actually keen to see Phils Pixiceles as well as I know he had them planned for his display

anon

Apprentice elf
No...don't like it....at all... ;)

One of the great things is that it can do a very traditional effect, yet dazzle with a huge RGB rainbow.

What are the specs for this marvel?
How are the pixels connected, 6xrows or 1 long string on a hyper universe?
Driver hardware?
Backing substrate?
Power injection for so many strings?
Does it neatly roll up for easy storage?
Have I missed a build thread with all of the above?

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
They look good but not my cup of tea laying them all out would do my head in

Skunberg

Full time elf
Oooooow ... Nooooooo, Where am I going to get the money to do that!

Look's Great! Thank's!

Brian

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
anon said:
What are the specs for this marvel?
How are the pixels connected, 6xrows or 1 long string on a hyper universe?
Driver hardware?
Backing substrate?
Power injection for so many strings?
Does it neatly roll up for easy storage?
Have I missed a build thread with all of the above?

Specs are 6 pieces the following length (from right to left) - 4.5m, 4.5m, 6.5m, 3.0, 3.5m, 3.5m. The strings are fed from a P12R between the 6.5 and 3m sections, so the bit to the left is 66 pixels, and the right 101 pixels. That made it easier to mount the controller and distribute power.

The strings are 2*6 rows, but each row is 1 universe, and the 101 string is reversed so pixel 1 is at the right of the video and 167 at the left. Originally I was planning on 10cm between drops, not the 15cm I used, so mounting the controller in the center made more sence.

The whole lot is a single P12R and 250W PSU mounted in a box under the eve, painted the wall color so it's hard to see, but the cables need to be hidden better in the future

The backing is a plastic trellis material shown in the pic below.

Power injection is done in a few places. At the point on each string where the strings connect to the P12R it gets data, clock and power. At the peak of the 2 roofs there is an injection point connected back to the PCU over 2.5mm cable and Anderson plugs good for 50A each. and at the far end of the 6.5m string there is another injection point. There is very little discoloration at the far end, even when on all white, and voltage was measured at just 4.5V, so not a huge loss over such a distance.

It rolls up, although I ended up hanging a 4 meter long piece of wood from the shed ceiling and that has screws into the side. The pieces simply hang there, with a few clips to hold them in place, when not in use. They have been there for a couple of months, with the larger 6.5m section string above the workbench to allow me to test ideas for effects on a small piece.

No build thread. I tend to post progress and pics on my website and mention things in chat, although I decided to post the video of this after getting pestered by Yagoona_Lights to show him what they look like on the house as he had seen them in person a couple of months ago on a visit here

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 41

Boof63

Senior elf
great effect and reward for your efforts, just jealous :( :( :(
great job and thanks for providing next years "must have"!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::)
cheers Boof63 :D :D :D :D :D

angus40

Senior elf
Speachless to say the least ! that is a thing of beauty ll , thanks for sharing this video .

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Nice work Dave. Would do my head in too the build! Like the idea using the trellis stuff for spacing/hanging, should be nice and easy to pack up and store too.

You always go big, on ya! :)