Pixicles - What strip would you suggest?

Nodent

Apprentice elf

mborg10

Michael Borg
All pixels are 3 led. Red, green & blue. Hence RGB. Each pixel has an IC so they refer to IC per m. 10 ic/m is about the lowest for strip and I think this would be fine for pixicles. That's a controllable section every 10cm.

Habbosrus

Back again
How much control do you want over your pixicles? What is the viewing distance? I went with this strip for my pixicles for a few different reasons. I thought 3 led per ic would give enough definition for my setup. I made mine all the same length of 500mm (effectively 5 sections of 3 led's). I had to cover 25 metres along the front of the house with a gap where my 2d tree interrupts them. 95 pixicles cover it and I made 5 spares just in case and I'm glad I did because 2 didn't work properly (my soldering was the issue).
Every setup is different so you will need to work out what is best for yours.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Following this topic, i would love to setup some Pixicles and will be looking at other peoples for ideas, i have a few going through my head but interested to see others,
I am with Habbosrus on his LED selection, 12v for the win...... and after being told more LED's can be bad in certain instances i am thinking these would be better than the 60LED's per metre i was originally thinking,

mborg10

Michael Borg
Have a look at lithgow lights video. He used pixel strings hung horizontal and let the software control them vertically

Nodent

Apprentice elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
All pixels are 3 led. Red, green & blue. Hence RGB. Each pixel has an IC so they refer to IC per m. 10 ic/m is about the lowest for strip and I think this would be fine for pixicles. That's a controllable section every 10cm.

I meant to convey, 3 RGB LED's per IC, or 1 RGB Per IC.

Viewing distance will be about 15 to 18 meters away.

I would like the pixicles to be about 60 to 80 mm long.

Habbosrus

Back again
Nodent said:
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:

I meant to convey, 3 RGB LED's per IC, or 1 RGB Per IC.

Viewing distance will be about 15 to 18 meters away.

I would like the pixicles to be about 60 to 80 mm long.
I reckon 3 LED per IC would be perfect for your situation (just my opinion). I had viewers on my front lawn and many in cars across the street, approximately 30-50 metres away and my pixicles looked fine (to me). If you use the 3 LED per IC you will be controlling 6-8 pixels per pixicle x the length of coverage across your house. Mine were spaced approximately 20cm apart. I am thinking of reducing the distance between them by half. I haven't taken them down yet as I plan to do some post Christmas testing of different ideas. I had many, many comments and questions about my pixicles. The main one was - where did you get them from? People distort their faces in weird ways when you tell them everything is hand made :eek:

Nodent

Apprentice elf
Yes I did mean to say 60 - 80 cm.

I plan on using then in the tree, about 30 to 40 of them, I'm going to have Ray Wu special make 3 to 4 cables with 10 special tee's within them.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The reality is that you can also get away with lots of non pixel stuff as well and still get that full pixel effect.
My display has always had a majority of dumb strip and modules
Roof outline is dumb strip
roof tiles are dumb modules
Window frames are dumb strip

This allowed me to easily manage my channels and lights (especially 2 to 3 years ago when software and large pixel counts were not a good mix) but still maintain that whole house pixel kind of look and create flowing rainbow effects and chases.
Below is the video of my 2012 show and this shows how dumb RGB light if used well and can also have a great effect

Fasteddys 2012 Colour Christmas Show on Vimeo

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I cant see dumb items working well for the original question though Eddy - Pixicles. Well not unless you want to run hundreds of dumb controllers

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
lithgowlights said:
I cant see dumb items working well for the original question though Eddy - Pixicles. Well not unless you want to run hundreds of dumb controllers

I agree that for the original post that dumb strip will not be a good option. I just threw it out there as its also a general discussion on if more is better so I wanted to show that its not all about the pixels themsleves but what you actually do with the light itself

B_P_J

Full time elf
Well strike me down, ShellNZ now that is an amazing post, just what I am looking for, its perfect, shows me everything I need to know, and have no doubts I can do it thanks to your advice, so happy, thank you so much, I hope you don't mind me using your ideas' lol oh and your lights are amazing, I have watched a couple but want to get back to watch the rest, I cant believe the number of people, well done.
Quick question for you if you don't mind, if you were to do these again would you consider using the T pieces (3core across but 4core to the Pixicle) and if not reasons? I am thinking maybe the gap between them would be too big, 40cm, although yours look around 25-30cm so it would be close, sorry I just thought it might be easier, but if not any good it will save me learning the hard way,
Thanks again and I look forward to seeing more of your videos and your 2015 display.
Brad