Pixlite 16 MKII Netwoking

vk3heg

Full time elf
Hi Guys,

last year I used a Pi4 to control my lights with a hat and connected to it via wireless. (No wired network in that area).

Can I do the same this time with the Pixlite connecting to the network port of the Pi4 with the pi doing the job of the show computer and connect to the Pi4 via wireless? (not using a network switch between the Pixlite/pi4)

Thanks,
Stephen

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
You should be able to but if you need to make changes to the Pixlite you may need to plug it into the network.
I have never done it as my network is Gigabit and my show whit 10K channels only needs 10Mbs through put.
Some of the RPi experts should be able to let you know how to set it up.
It will be in here somewhere https://falconchristmas.github.io/FPP_Manual(4.0).pdf

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
I have a spare PixLite 4 and a backup RPi 3B+ might have a go at a setup this week or the weekend.

badger4543

Full time elf
Following this post!! I'm in same boat atm I have a switch in my enclosure but would prefer to get rid of it if its not needed.

tooms

12v4life
Yes, you should be able to directly connect the pi to the pixlite via ethernet, you might need an ethernet "cross-over" cable, but I would try it with just a normal ethernet cable first and resort to a crossover cable if the link doesn't come up.

vk3heg

Full time elf
Thanks. Guys. Connecting the PixLite directly to the pi and the pi via wireless will be the first thing I test out.

GTrain

New elf
I have my pixlite controller connected straight to My Pi3 with straight through ethernet cable, both devices are smart enough not to need a cross over cable, works fine.

badger4543

Full time elf
I have my pixlite controller connected straight to My Pi3 with straight through ethernet cable, both devices are smart enough not to need a cross over cable, works fine.

How do you connect to the controller via advatek assistant if you need to change settings once set up in you enclosure

tooms

12v4life
How do you connect to the controller via advatek assistant if you need to change settings once set up in you enclosure

You can normally bridge the wireless interface and ethernet port together on the PI, or put a static route onto the PC to get to the pixlite via the PI.

badger4543

Full time elf
You can normally bridge the wireless interface and ethernet port together on the PI, or put a static route onto the PC to get to the pixlite via the PI.

When I try this I can connect to the controller but it doesn't allow me to save any changes. Im assuming I've connected to it correctly

GTrain

New elf
Hey badger4543, I never worried about routing through FPP to connect to the Pixlite controller. How ever....this year i have my lights up early and I had some time to play around with Pixlite and FPP. Since you mentioned it earlier i was curious (more so determined) to see if I could make the connection work.

What i found out is that even if you set up FPP to bridge the Wlan01 and eth01 correctly - the Pixlite does not have an option in the network settings to enter in network gateway details to able the Pixlite controller talk to any device that is not on its own network address. Source = PixLite 4 + FPP setup question (doityourselfchristmas.com)