Pixlite 4 and power supply in CableGuard CG-1500 Enclosure

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
djohnson1810 said:
I am thinking about putting my Pixlite 4 inside the CG-1500 enclosure along with a 350 watt power supply. Does anyone think I would have an over heating issue with the lack of ventilation?

http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/CableGuard-CG-1500-Enclosure-CG-1500.htm

That would depend on load on the power supply and where you are located, do you have a cold Christmas or do you have a hot one. Either way its always good practice to have some form of ventilation

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I personally don't think it matters where you are with a plastic box that small. Without forced ventilation you have the potential to have as much as 100W of heat to try to get rid of in a box that small.

djohnson1810

Apprentice elf
Florida. As far as a load, it will be not so bad this year but of course as I expand...

Any suggestions for an alternate enclosure idea?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The box is fine if you can fit everything in but you either need to have the power supply fan venting to the outside world or else a fan of some sort just to move the air out of the box.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
:-\
djohnson1810 said:
Florida. As far as a load, it will be not so bad this year but of course as I expand...

Any suggestions for an alternate enclosure idea?

Definetly will need ventilation, its always good practice regardless to have some form of ventilation for any sized box with a power supply in it.
As far as a box you can use anything that would be suitable, nothing wrong with using the box you suggested, you just need to add some ventilation

djohnson1810

Apprentice elf
Have to think about that. Very rainy here in Florida. Maybe ventilation on the bottom side.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
djohnson1810 said:
Have to think about that. Very rainy here in Florida. Maybe ventilation on the bottom side.

Should be able to get away with standing the enclosure up so the front is the top & put a PCV elbow facing down directly in front of the PSU fan. You will also need to have another hole somewhere for air to get in.

bigstott

New elf
I use a DC Brushless Micro Blower. I mount the mini blower in the case with the small end pointing down and just made a small cut at the bottom of the box and it forces air out and doesn't take up much room.

http://www.risunmicrotec.com/
RFB2008

plasmadrive

Full time elf
One thing that didn't seem to be mentioned here is that when you suck air in, you suck the moisture in with it. If allowed to condense for any reason on your power supply, could be a very bad thing. I would bet that supply is rated no higher than Pollution Degree 2. Not meant for outdoor use even in that enclosure. Most everyone gets away with it because of the very short term we do what we do, but with all the rain you guys get.. you might want to think about that some. Perhaps conformal coat the PCBs, that would help a lot.

Just sayin.... 8)