PixPlus USA sources Pixels manufactured in South Africa

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Generous elf
Should probably have pointed out why I actually care about the specs (it's not the $300 in electricity... the pixels and props and controllers obviously cost a lot more... then again the wife saw the electric bill but not the controller bill :-D).

I really just want things to be easy to set up, and look good.

Last year was my rookie year. I got specs from the pixel vendor that said they'd be good at full white with 100/string, and yellow to useless by 120-150. The amperage spec also made it look like 100 was gonna be it, without adding power. I took those statements at face value. I ordered a lot of strings of 100, with 10-foot plug on them, and no connector for the next string. I ordered a lot of controller ports too. So I have props like "Mr Chill" at almost 1100 pixels, with 11 cords on it.

Then, when I was well into pushing pixels and installing stuff, I found out that you could run 200-300 pixels on a port without injection. How many less cables would that have been, and connections to screw together. I changed strategy a little bit then, but it was rather too late to make use of the information... lots of cases where the pixel string had no plug on the end, or the plug was on the opposite end of the matrix from the next, or whatever.

So, for stuff I ordered this year, I assumed a lot more pixels per port, and a lot less power usage per pixel. And ordered those pixplus pixels accordingly.

Then I got the WW regulator pixels, found out they really will not run more than 100 per string, and that they're noticeably brighter than the pixels I got last year. So... that's why I'm so curious about the PP specs. I might have to be selective about where I use them just so they look like the rest, or power inject, or...

So once again I haven't made it as easy on myself as I hoped. Amazon now has boxes of 500 pixels delivered next day, only 20% more money than bulk order pixel price, and as a bonus the wife doesn't recognize that it's more Christmas stuff :-D

TerryK

Retired Elf
Full white at 100/string depends upon the pixel type and wire AWG and length. Who's the vendor? I suggest not using anything at 'face value' especially anything out of China. The intensity of Ken's (Wired Watts) pixels are typical. If possible, a bit more information of the 'last year's' pixels? A link perhaps?

I suggest avoiding any of the strings on Amazon with a single exception; those from Alling which are from Paul Zhang. For strips I get mine from Amazon via BTF Lighting.

I started with xConnect and now use custom connectors which I obtain on Amazon and some pigtails also BTF Lighting (Amazon). I'm also one of the few individuals who do not power the strings from the controller. Everything is power injected.

Last edited:

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Generous elf
At some point, way past when I should have, I realized that this should be in a different thread. I put a list of the pixel vendors I tried over with the thread about which pixels to buy. And a lot of "full white" test results on the Allings you mention.