Pixtail - a SPI driver board for the ECG

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Hi, As some of you might know, i've been working on some new commerical products, our "E series".. As a spin off that work, i'm pleased to let you know about a new project that is specifically targeted at the the DIY/Homebuild/blinky community. This is my contribution back to the community that has catapulted me into a serious business. I hope i never forget where i come from either.

The Pixtail is a simple and "dumb" breakout board that when run in conjunction with an ECG M24 ( or M32 ), will drive up to 8 "strings" of pixels. The design allows for some flexible power configurations of 5 and 12VDC, or you can power your pixels separately. So, what you'll have is E1.31 --> SPI pixels directly..

Attached is the schematics and the board layout that went to the factory today for an initial run. I'll be working with ED over the next few weeks or so on the software. It will be able to run 6803 and 2801 variants, ( and possibly in combination )

Operation will be simple.. Just plug an ECG and this together, attach your strings of SPI leds, and configure via the Web UI..

My intention will be to sell the tail in two formats; either just a pcb. ( this is an easy intro to SMD ), or as a populated board, ( bring your own connectors ).

I know what the next two questons you'll be asking... When and how much..

the when is simple.. When its all finished.. All the bits of software are tested, but need to be combined back into a build for the M24/M32. I'm shooting for having 50 ready to go out the door in November.. but thats not a promise, its just an estimate, and stuff happens!

The Estimated Costs are simple as well, just a little bit more that our costs, so we can afford to eat still.. Actually so we can pay someone to look after the orders etc: PCB will be $US12.00 + Freight/Postage, Populated, and tested board about $38.00 ( remember you still need to buy a ECG from ED ), power supplys and pixels.. I won't be running a co-op bulk buy, it will be a paypay store, and you can buy them as soon as they are available.

Kind Regards

Andrew.

Attachments

• pixtail_v2.png
    pixtail_v2.png
    48 KB · Views: 62
  • pixtail_board_v2.png
    pixtail_board_v2.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 53

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Slowly its taking shape..

Thats eds M24H, and a clip on Pixtail board..

Drives 2801 and 6803 and any spi type pixels.. Power options to use 12 or 5V, up to 8 strings..

NB. This is a non-commerical community project.. If you wanted an easy entry to SMD, this would be board to make ( not the M24H )..

The reason for the socked DIP chips is just in case you blow up the line drivers, ( it is possible ) you can easily replace them. ( they are about 0.30c each, but unsoldering them is the painful bit..

Attachments

• pixtail_small.png
    pixtail_small.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 42

riri7707

Full time elf
Hi Andrew,
Very interesting board for our pixels...
I'm on it as ready...
Do you have now a better idea about availability for the members?

Cheers...

Henri