Plans for 2018

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Yeah I know, 2017 isn't even over yet, but don't tell me you haven't thought about what you need to add, fix or change for next year!
So let everyone know what you want/need to do for next year - you may inspire someone else to do the same element in their own display!

For me, I'd like to replace the roof and garage outlines with nodes. The strip has been half replaced due to issues. I may re-use the strip for other projects, possibly inside where I don't have to worry to much with re-waterproofing.
2017's plans for a megatree never eventuated, so now its a 2018 plan!
I need to improve my coro presents. The small ones need backs and I need to improve the mounting system as they got a little damaged in the wind.
I might pop the tops off the singing faces and paint the internal walls to help with light bleed between sections, especially the mouth sections. The back could do with a spray of black to stop them shining back through the window into the house.
Seeing recent posts about north poles I might add a few of those - should look nice between the arches.
I have bought a number (10+) of the $5 Kmart 90cm trees. I might wrap those in nodes to create a mini forest on the lawn.

Ellis

Naughty Elf
Other than my Matrix I am starting from scratch for 2018 so LOTS to do!!

I'm scared to cost up what I need but will see how things go.... lucky I have a year

scamper

Dedicated elf
Rebuild my "fire sticks" as they are fading very badly and some are falling apart. (I have worked out how to do it now so should be easy)
And while I am at it make another 5 or so for better effect.

Roof outline! I really wanted to do it earlier, but me house is a pain to get to the outline, so have finally figured out how to mount nodes permanently so once they are up, they can stay there. and I need a cherry picker to do it.

Finish all the half done props from the last 2 years.

Fix any damaged props.

And yes..... Sequence more! I believe I have finally settled on a design for my yard, so except for some additions over the years, it should stay the same. So I will only need to tickle up the sequences if and when I add more.

B4IGO

Apprentice elf
For me 2018 will be a step into pixels, controllers (F16v3) and sequencing... Planning to start off relatively "simple" with some mini trees/spiral trees and maybe some candy canes and arches. Ultimately I'd like to build a "modest" mega tree - a job for 2019 perhaps.

My wife is already concerned about the obsession this will very likely become :laugh::rolleyes:

Bryan H

Bryan
Rebuild my falcon controller boxes and using more remote expansion boards. Found many design issues with where i had it and the wiring from the controller. Adding to more my roof, continuing my love for Bosocoyo stuff. my 1st P10 tune to sign and hiding it all from my wife like this year

DavidJ247

Full time elf
For me 2017 was a year of unfinished projects! The year before I was focused and prepared, set myself a few key jobs and got them done, this year all that went out the window and I started this and that and the other thing and something else and then some more, lol. Needless to say I lost focus and didn't get it all finished. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with what I got built for this year, the mega tree in particular which was a big job and really happy with how it turned out, but I've got plenty still on the go. So good to get this down in writing now, a bit more planning and focus through the year and I should have a few more additions for 2018.

Singing bulbs - got a few of these built already, just didn't find the time to sequence them (learning to sequence lyric tracks seemed daunting and I procrastinated so long I just never got there!) 2018 for sure.
North Poles - I had planned for 6 of these around the yard, only got two built and out this year. Really happy with how they turned out and they look great in the show so definitely a few more of these on the agenda.
Roof Outline - Didn't manage to get this done last year or this year, the rest of the house is outlined in lights and it really does need the roof ridge to complete the look.
Spinners - another unfinished project, got two of these partially done, spent ages soldering and sealing short lengths of strip for one and became really 'over it' by the second so I need to find some motivation and get back to these.
Spiral Trees - Picked up some more spiral frames larger and smaller than my existing ones, will fit these with strip to add to the collection.
Sequences - many of this years sequences are shared/purchased sequences modified to suit my display which are great but there is a certain sense of accomplishment/satisfaction in creating your own from scratch, I have a few but would like to add some more.

Plenty to do...

videoman3857

Full time elf
2018 will see me relocate my computer controlled lights half way down our paddock (on 4 acres) so the show can be viewed from the house.
currently you have to go to a viewing area down the paddock and look up to the house. The light pollution from the uncontrolled lights of the house and props in the yard just kill the presentation.
I will be modifying my 48 single colour string mega tree so I can raise and lower the hook head with a winch.
Most of my control boards will be housed into two central control enclosures located in the paddock ( when I can find the time get them from Richie). - this year I had 16 separate controllers in different enclosures (which weren't as water proof as I hoped and I have way too many extension cords all over the place.
I will be putting in a dedicated power supply on the closest property pole to reduce the distance and number of extension leads to the control system.
We have no street lighting in our area and its pitch black, so I have a 16 channel controller at the front of the property that I use to light the way from the parking area to the driveway using 10 watt white floods, so I am going to use the spare 8 channels and put a sensor activated taking Christmas tree at the front driveway entrance to great my visitors and ask them to only walk throughout the property and thank them for visiting. - my display is immersive and interactive - no viewing from a car.
Hopefully I will have time to create a Pixel mega tree and 16 rgb mini trees. My wife wants a full size sleigh and an 8ft reindeer (all timber) as a photo prop (I know what's going to get done first)
I will also construct another 4 coloured balls to go with my existing 12. I would also like to make 16 motif wire framed reindeer in a running pattern place them from ground level to a high poles and sequence it so it looks like its running into the sky. Thinking I need to make another 2 mtr red and white candy cane to balance the one I already have. That one is easy. A bit of sewerage pipe and two elbows and some red and white strings. Looks crap during the day, but fantastic of a night.
Somewhere between this I have to earn money and complete some major repair work around the house, so I am thinking I have already bitten off more that I can chew

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
2017 was a big increase for me, added megatree and star, matrix, candy canes and pixicles, Also added DMX floods, moving heads and led smoke machine, though these are only used occasionally as they aren't weather proof.

Waterproof floods and moving heads, or maybe dump the cheap kmart floods and buy waterproof RGB ones
Replace AC rope light mini trees with pixels (thus getting rid of my LOR box)
Pixel the snowflakes I got at this years mini
Build the falcon controller and expansion boards enclosure(s)

Attend at least 1 or maybe 2 minis and get ideas for building other things which again will stretch my skills and abilities :D

eggiie

New elf
First year with music this year. I see the next 12 months being programming time, although I need to play with xLights to see if I will switch from Vixen (I'm a Mac user, the two PC's are killing me :() I've learnt how to get it to do what I want now so changing the platform while convenient may be more time than I have right now.

I would like to get some pixel runs up and explore how they work, I'll probably start along the roof line to bring that back in to the show as the DC strings I was using up there died this year and I didn't replace them. May do something on the verandah posts as well to add a bit of depth to the show.

Have been discussing doing a Halloween week in October, means the house lights and control will be up for longer so the minister for domestic affairs may not approve.

I do have some RGB LED panels I can use as floodlights, just need to work out how to use them in the show as an effect or a wash on the lawn/wall of the house.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I will be doing the following in order.
  • At least 6 more songs
  • Add two more Christmas tress to the side of the drive way so there is 6 each side all with 100 pixel lights each.
  • A massive star on the top of my second story. I had a couple of people that said they could see the star on my mega tree from the hills around 5 km away and drove down. So Adding to the roof will get it another 4m higher for more people to see it.
  • More wire elements like raindeers, Santa sleigh on the roof and add custom pixel lights.
  • Convert to pixel strips for the roofline.
  • 2 x snow machines
  • Build a small fence on either side of my 15m driveway so people can come down and look around as at the moment I block this off. Paint fence Christmas colours and add cutouts of Santa, raindeers etc.
  • Think of more interactive displays for the kids.
  • To get as many newbies to the QLD mini as possible to pass on the knowledge.
  • I'm sure there is more