Power connection getting hot

dannyp

Full time elf
Not sure if im jumping at shadows but the power connection from my power supply is feeling very hot. To explain better, from my PS I have some heavy duty lanscaping cable (3.3mm) which is then soldered to a 2 core connector (female). From the controller I have the same heavy duty cable soldered to the 2 core male connector. The connectors are 18AWG according to the connector markings. it is the actual connector which is getting really hot. Should it be doing this?

dannyp

Full time elf
I don't really know but I think it was zero as I didn't have it connected to anything. I thought it was connected to the controller but it wasn't. I didn't notice but could the ends of the cable have been touching (+ touching -) and that causing the heat? I have now connected it to the controller, and it seems to be back to normal.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
If there was nothing connected and it was getting hot it sounds like you had a short somewhere. Maybe post a picture of the connector involved.

dannyp

Full time elf
Yes that’s what I thought. The ends of the cables must have been touching. I cant post a picture now as I have reconnected it and it’s all fine now.
thanks for your feedback.

Shane G

New elf
Generous elf
I would keep the total load on that wire at a maximum of 8 amp's (5 would be better) as your connectors are the limiting factor in the wiring setup. A bigger cable in between the connectors only helps to get those amp's to get to the other end. A work around would be to solder two or more connectors on each end of the of that 3.3mm cable and that will share the load throughout them.