Power for Mega Tree

Baron

Apprentice elf
If I have a falcon f16v3 and 2 expansion boards for my mega tree. I need 6 power supplies 2 for the controller, 2 each for the expansion boards.

do I plug each power supply with cord into the plug or do plug in 1 power supply and daisy chain the other 5 off the first power supply?

I have a wide open 110 - 40amp circuit. Will this work to power just my tree?

Hope that makes since. Thx.

Last edited:

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
If it were my build, I would parallel the mains input, possibly splitting it into 2 lots of 3 assuming the total load won't be more than what your circuit/socket can supply

This is assuming you are going to have all the power supplies inside one enclosure, otherwise I would have a single plug for each
More info on your tree, pixel count power supply ratings etc would help us determine a more useful answer

Baron

Apprentice elf
48 strands of 100 pixels w 152 pixels for the star w 2” spacing. 113 amps or 1355 watts. So if my breaker is only 40amps. What do I do? I don’t know anything about power. Sorry.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
1355 watts total, this will be around the same so at 110V that will draw approx 12A on the mains side. (1355/110) P/V=I is how you can figure out basic current draws. The 113A will mean you are going to need power supplies capable of delivering 113A you could get away with 6 12V power supplies that deliver 25A each (300W 12V) I don't have any handy guides on power injection but when connecting multiple power supplies to a single prop, you need to ensure you split the positive up, so each power supply + feeds a certain number of strips, then you add another power supply for injection but do not connect both of the + from the last strip to the new strip. You must connect all the negative - lines together in order for this to work.

48 strands of 100 pixels
Do you know what intensity you will run the tree at? It is most common to see them run at 20 to 30% brightness and this then reduces the size of power supply required as less current is drawn with less brightness.

Don't forget fuses for power injection, I'm not sure if there is a suggested fuse size, I would stick to something like 5A per injection point as a starter, have you worked out how you are going to wire the tree up etc?

For example, I have a 73 pixel 64 strand 360 degree tree running at 20% brightness

I run it from two power supplies rated at 2450W (200A 12V DC) each They have an input current of about 2A each while running the tree at 20%
I have run my tree from my controller in 5 sections of 12 and one section of 4, meaning there are 12 strands of 73 pixels per output.
Every second strand is power injected at the bottom.

TerryK

Retired Elf
A wide open 110 - 40 Amp circuit? Possible but very unusual. Most 110 (120 VAC actually) circuits in the US are either 15 Amp or 20 Amp. Above that just about everything becomes 240 VAC. Regardless, for proper US usage in my opinion, once one gets into the higher wattage supplies or quantities of smaller supplies, it becomes advantageous to power supplies from 240 VAC rather than 120 VAC (again US).

So yes, it is possible to power the tree from the circuit. However, from how you asked in your first post and coupled with your Post #3 comment, I suggest you find someone nearby with electrical knowledge, explain all this, and have him/her help.

Reactions: BRW