Power injection for WS2811 strip tree

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Jimbo said:
Thanks everyone,

Fast Eddy, when you say make sure you don't cross the 2 positives of the 2 power supplies, do you mean directly at the actual units?

I mean at the injection point between the strips where you use the different power supplies, So all you need to connect here is the ground and data. You will need to connect the +V at the injection points between strips using the same power supply.

Jimbo said:
Based upon my calculations, (using 3 amps per strip or 0.6 Amps per metre ) the amperage of 2 strips at 4 metres will be 4.8 Amps, so figuring using 5 Amp fuses should be sufficient.

Should be OK as long as they are not cheap fuses and you use white on for long periods, but generally what is found is that the rated current is normally higher than the real world current

Jimbo said:
My strips came yesterday, and already have the 2 wires on them for power injection. Am I correct is using the 3 pin connectors to connect between the strips and putting the 2 pin connectors on the power injection to run from the power supply?
Yes this is how i did mine. At the injection point i used a 3 pin plug to feed through and then also connected a 2 pin plu to inject power

Jimbo said:
Also can I confirm that the P2 needs to have its ground wire connected the ground of the power supply? And whetehr I need to put a wire between th negatives of both power supplies?

All you need is to power up the P2 directy from the power supply. then ensure you use the data and ground coming out of the P2 to the first strip and then inject the +V at the beginning of the first strip

No need to put between power supplies at the power supply, only at the injection point is needed

Dont connect the ground to the 240v ground or chassis of the power supply especially with the cheap supplies many use in this hobby, there is no need for it.