Power injection problem....

ShellNZ

Senior elf
The first diagram is the way that works, all 4 candles and both archlines work. Power is injected at the end of 2nd archline. Unfort there is color diff between Archline 1 and Archline 2, so I need to inject power before Archline 1.

Wiring2-1.jpg

Ive tried injecting power the 2nd way, it doesnt work. Not only do both my archlines NOT work but it also cuts out the last 2 candles as well.

Im about to try it this way.....
Wiring3-1.jpg

Make sense?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Shell the power supply supplying the power injection must be common to the controller as well as the injection points so that there is a voltage reference for the data lines. The ground line as a minimum must be connected to the controller and any injection points.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Yep, I have the groundline connected to the controller, at least I think I have, lol.

At the point of injection can I connect the 3 +ve wires (one from strip, one from connector and one direct from power supply line), and same with the ground, 3 wires connected together????

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Yes. At each of the power injection points you should end up with a 3 way T. There should be power passing through as well as the power (from the same power supply) being injected.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If the second method is cutting out half the candles and not working then i wonder if there is an issue with crossing the + and ground around on the DC supply fot that injection line.

The 3rd method is similar to the second method except you have connected the injection back to the candles as well. The issue here is that you are using 2 different power supplies on the same circuit which is not the best practice. The fact that its connected so far away from the first power supply, the actual cable between can be treated as a load due to resistance and shouldnt be an issue.
But if you followed the diagram above then i cant understand why its not working unless you are creating a short somewhere which it sounds like you may be doing

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Yayyy, got it. Looks like it was a dodgy connector as I just went and got a new set of connectors, soldered them same way and voila :)

The 4th (last) candle is a tad dimmer than the rest so wanted to spit a bit of + back to that as well with the power inj, can I not do that?

Its now hooked up with the 2 x 3wires connected, not good?