Power Injection stops data signal

rippernz

New elf
I have got my leaping arches all together and working but i need to power inject. I’m using pig tails from Ray Wu as well as his 3-2-3 power injector T’s.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32866383286.html?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.56063e5fJFY2S0

I’m currently running this off a Dig-Quad, without the power injectors everything runs apart fine, just a bit of fading, when I plug in the power injector T’s (without the power) everything runs as it should, the moment I connect the power to the T, everything after the T stops working like the data signal has been disconnected somehow but the LEDs before the T still light up.

All power is coming from the same power supply / Dig-Quad.

I have tested the T’s for continuity and all is good.

In short, plug power into the T and data stops.

Anyone have any ideas?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Your pigtails aren't cross-wired and connecting ground to the data line inside/after the pigtail are they? Anything being sent will be grounded out and you won't get any lights coming on.

rippernz

New elf
Your pigtails aren't cross-wired and connecting ground to the data line inside/after the pigtail are they? Anything being sent will be grounded out and you won't get any lights coming on.
i checked and they are good
tested the output polarity, followed this through T and its the same on the other side.

when i plug the injector in and i probe the other end of the T the voltage increases, so power is getting though

Couple of videos in case i wasn't as clear as could be
No power injection

T is connected but no power injection

Power injection

T Connected and power injection

ozzimadman

New elf
the 3 wire pin pigtails have yellow as ground(according to the hand drawn paper) and the power injection has brown and blue as power in , all mine are wired brown + ,blue - and yellow data there seems to be 2 different wiring codes between the 2 connectors ? looks like the + is joined but the - and signal is connected backwards on the pigtails to yr arches

rippernz

New elf
check everything with a multi meter.. its been well known for china sellers to screw up the wiring on some plugs and adapters
so check everything
Hit the nail on the head, i think that's it,

I spent some time last night with meter and found one of the power injection lines connect to the data line.

Now i need to work something out

Will Ray come to the party on his products?
Is this something that he does?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
By come to the party, do you mean replace or refund for a faulty item? Possibly, don't know if you don't ask but if it's only 1 pigtail out of an order, is it really worth the hassle?
To Alec's point above, sometimes its inevitable that cheaply made Chinese items will have the odd dodgy one in a batch. Its why many of us religiously check pigtails and similar with a multimeter before being used in our displays. Helps reduce time narrowing down issues once deployed in the display.

rippernz

New elf
By come to the party, do you mean replace or refund for a faulty item? Possibly, don't know if you don't ask but if it's only 1 pigtail out of an order, is it really worth the hassle?
To Alec's point above, sometimes its inevitable that cheaply made Chinese items will have the odd dodgy one in a batch. Its why many of us religiously check pigtails and similar with a multimeter before being used in our displays. Helps reduce time narrowing down issues once deployed in the display.
Yes i mean will he refund or replace.

but i have done a little more digging and its the pigtails that are wrong. Data and GND are around he wrong way

would have been an easy fix if i had tested before started.

thanks for everyone's help on this.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Yes i mean will he refund or replace.

but i have done a little more digging and its the pigtails that are wrong. Data and GND are around he wrong way

would have been an easy fix if i had tested before started.

thanks for everyone's help on this.
you do know basicly all vendors use the green wire for data an not ground.
so you wire it there way.. or forever changing the wiring pinout on stings with plugs on

rippernz

New elf
The last few orders I have had with him NO. It was his way or nothing. So I will never purchase from him ever again.
I sent him an email explaining the error on his website and all he came back with is the wire colouring that i sent him and that was it.
from that i dont expect to see anything else from him or the information on his page to change