Power supply hookup

fj

Apprentice elf
hi guys,

i have a DSE 0-15V 2 amp power supply to power my Ren64. I've never played around with anything electrical before so I just want to get some noob advice so i don't fry anything.

the bottom two lugs on the power supply are for input of 240V, which i have a 2 pin power cord to hook up to. does it matter about which cable from the cord goes to which lug for the input because there is nothing marked on the power supply and no leaflet or anything that came with it?

and for the output. if i want 6.3V out, i assume i use the 0V and 6.3V lugs to get my required voltage? does it then matter about which of those 0v and 6.3v connections goes into which tab on the Ren64 board?

once this is done i can fire up the board and do some testing.
i noticed on the board there is a test point TP1 but i couldn't find any other test point or instructions on what to test for, any ideas?

thanks, fj

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ok the 240volt side doesnt matter which way as what the power supply is doing is converting AC to DC, so if it is one of those 2 pin adaptor cables that can go either way then it wont matter. as far as connection the renards i cant help as i dont have any but im sure someone else will help you there. One thing that is important when connecting the DC power to the board is to ensure you get the positive and negative terminals going into the board the correct way.

fj

Apprentice elf
the Ren64 instructions say to use a 6.3V AC/AC transformer, not DC. so i guess that pin / cable orientation doesn't matter then?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
yes photos would help as now he have me a bit lost, from that we should know what we are dealing with

Tabor

Full time elf
FJ

Your spot on.

Connect the 240VAC as you said doesnt matter polarity.
Same with 6.3VAC, doesnt matter on polarity. Just make sure it 0 - 6.3VAC

The 6.3 VAC is used for the ZC circuit and then rectified on board by the four diodes and smoothed by the large Cap to provide DC for the chips.

I have four of these boards all running off 240 - 6.3 VAC transformers.

Tabor

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
OK thought we were dealing with an AC to DC power supply, Now i understand, well as i said i dont have one so wasnt sure about the output side. looks like Tabor is your man as he has got them.

fj

Apprentice elf
beautiful, thanks for the help everyone.

what about the testing. i noticed a test point TP1 but no other one. what am i supposed to be testing with TP1?

fj

Apprentice elf
both boards powered up and green light on for both....i'm as happy as a pig in **** :D

now i just need those DC SSR boards to come from wjohn and i can get cracking on those next.