1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Power supply's

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by Madko, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

Hey all,
    I'm stuck on deciding between which power supplies to get. Do I buy 3 or 4 of the Chinese made one or spend the same amount and only get one of the better quality? Still needing to get more then 1 anyway.
    My main question I guess is how many people on this forum are using the Chinese made ones that have failed in the past? If they have failed, has it become a dangerous situation eg. Bang/smoke.
    All my power circuit supplied from the switch board is on its own RCD circuit breaker.

Cheers and Happy NYE!

2. DougieB

DougieB Full Time Elf

First question before you buy any is how much power do you need, work out total current requirements and add 15% to get an idea of the power supplies required before you purchase anything

3. OP
    OP
    Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

Thanks probably really good to know. Which I haven't worked out yet.

Is this because the higher the current requirements then best to get the better quality?

4. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    I use both good quality meanwells and Rays Chinese ones, i use the meanwells where i have limited space between the controller and the power supply. If using the chinese ones always have a spare. I have seen these go bang and let out the magic smoke a couple of times

5. OP
    OP
    Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

Just to add, I was thinking of just running all 350 watt supplies. Reason being, so I'm not limited on the supply when I want to expand! Everyone knows this is going to happen once the bugs bites! Maybe it has already bitten! I don't want to have re purchase bigger supplies when this happens!

6. DougieB

DougieB Full Time Elf

I am like Eddy, have a mixture of MW and chinese (some with MW stickers). Always keep a spare of each voltage (5, 12, 24 and 27). I have all 350 watt PS's