Power to Push Button/Audio Box

Lindsayr

New elf
Hi guys,

Hoping someone who is good with DC can assist me. I am looking to run a box which will control a push button for music power amplifier, a raspberry pi (to control a projector and audio out) and a FM Transmitter.

Couple of questions:-
* Could I run the power for this over 1 cable from the power supplies in the controller box? What would the wattage be and would I need bigger than 18AWG cable extension (with xconnect connectors)
* Are there foreseeable issues particularly with interference, with running this in the same box, with antenna for the FM Transmitter outside the box?
* Can a Raspberry Pi run through a step down converter like this?

Appreciate any insight, this is only my second year of a display with looking to build on the small display I had last year.

Thanks in advance!

Lindsay
Controller.png
FM Transmitter - https://www.lightitupleds-xmas.com....smitter/167?cp=true&sa=true&sbp=false&q=false
Power Amp - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.16.2ef11802nsFOKF
Step Down Converter - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.10.2ef11802nsFOKF

orchidman33

Full time elf
Yes you can run just 1 cable, but not the 18 AWG that you mentioned- volt drop would be of concern and the cable would be getting warm to the touch.
I would sooner use 16 AWG but for preference 14 AWG as I see the max load would be about 12A.

The14 AWG would allow you to be alot further from the power supplies -for us folk that use the metric system,18AWG is 0.75mm2,
16AWG is 1.5mm2 and 14AWG is equivelant to 2.5mm2

Lindsayr

New elf
Yes you can run just 1 cable, but not the 18 AWG that you mentioned- volt drop would be of concern and the cable would be getting warm to the touch.
I would sooner use 16 AWG but for preference 14 AWG as I see the max load would be about 12A.

The14 AWG would allow you to be alot further from the power supplies -for us folk that use the metric system,18AWG is 0.75mm2,
16AWG is 1.5mm2 and 14AWG is equivelant to 2.5mm2
Thanks Orchidman.

What waterproof style connectors, ideally that have panel mount connectors available would work with 14AWG wire?

If you are suggesting max draw is 12A, I assume that is max 144watts draw from a 350w power supply?

Thanks!

Lindsay

orchidman33

Full time elf
Waterproof connectors not so easy to come by, even for me in the electrical trade, so I keep my powersupplies in the box with what they are powering.

Yes I would see a max current draw from the power supply of about the 12Amp mark as the amplifier is rated at 120W - thats 10A assuming its 100% effient, and the Pi4 has a 3A 5V power supply thats 15W = 1.25A

Lindsayr

New elf
Waterproof connectors not so easy to come by, even for me in the electrical trade, so I keep my powersupplies in the box with what they are powering.

Yes I would see a max current draw from the power supply of about the 12Amp mark as the amplifier is rated at 120W - thats 10A assuming its 100% effient, and the Pi4 has a 3A 5V power supply thats 15W = 1.25A
Thanks Orchidman.

I think I will probably go that approach and put a power supply in this box.

Thanks for taking the time

Lindsay

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I put all my electronics in one box with the power supplies and run a 3 core wire out to the button. I use a standard pre-made extension I bought to run 12V +, ground, and return signal 25 feet out to the actual button and sign. It's worth considering, as it removes the concerns about voltage drop and makes it more modular in case you choose to move one or both parts later. I mark mine well because I run primarily 5V, but if you use the standard 12V+ and ground pins, you wouldn't have to worry about accidentally connecting it to a string of 12V pixels.

Lindsayr

New elf
Thanks for that CargoLights.

I am contemplating putting the Raspberry Pi in there as well and FM Transmitter so I can run a projector off it as well in the future, which is where the extra power comes from, although I will likely not put the FM Transmitter there and will run that from a separate Raspberry Pi in the house as worried with all that equipment in a small box could end up with a fair bit of interferance

Appreciate your advice!

Thanks

Lindsay