Powering multiple dumb strips

grodq

New elf
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm wanting to add some additional RGB elements this year and each element is going to require 2 dumb 5050 RGB strips 30 leds/meter. I've used the holidaycoro 3-channel controllers on one strip with no problems. I was wondering if one holidaycoro 3-channel controller will feed the two strips? If they can should the controller be placed at one end or in the middle of the 2 strips? Would these y-adapters be useful?

Just want to be sure I order enough stuff (with a couple spares of each). Appreciate any help/advice.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
grodq said:
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm wanting to add some additional RGB elements this year and each element is going to require 2 dumb 5050 RGB strips 30 leds/meter. I've used the holidaycoro 3-channel controllers on one strip with no problems. I was wondering if one holidaycoro 3-channel controller will feed the two strips? If they can should the controller be placed at one end or in the middle of the 2 strips? Would these y-adapters be useful?

Just want to be sure I order enough stuff (with a couple spares of each). Appreciate any help/advice.

This strip will take 1 amp per colour per 5 metre strip (0.2amps per meter per colour) so as long as your total load is below the max rating per channel for the holiday coro controller then you will be right.

So 2 amps per channel means 2 strips per controller maximum

Best to fit the controller between the 2 strips as you dont have voltage drop and power injection to deal with.

As for the splitters they work but depends on how you want to use them and what load you want to put through them.

grodq

New elf
Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I was thinking, wanted to pass it by the brain trust for confirmation. Now all I need is to order 30 strips (couple of spares), 15 or so controllers, enough power supplies for everything and a nice dmx bridge. I'm thinking the joshua systems ECG-D2 or ECG-D4. Leaning towards the D4 as I'd already use up 2 of the outputs because where my elements are.

nutz4lights

Full time elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
This strip will take 1 amp per colour per 5 metre strip (0.2amps per meter per colour) so as long as your total load is below the max rating per channel for the holiday coro controller then you will be right.
Eddy,

The web page for this strip says 1.2A per meter which would be 6A per strip. Is that because of the 60LED/meter instead of 30/meter? Is the spec wrong?

-Louie in Melbourne (Florida)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
30 led/m strip will be 0.2A/colour/metre or 0.6A per metre total. The 60 is obviously double that.
A alternative to driving long strips with the cheap 3 channel controllers is just to actually split the length into 2 and use the same start address on 2 controllers. Both will respond the same way and at the same time.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
nutz4lights said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Eddy,

The web page for this strip says 1.2A per meter which would be 6A per strip. Is that because of the 60LED/meter instead of 30/meter? Is the spec wrong?

-Louie in Melbourne (Florida)

The 5050 LEDs used in the strip are rated at approx 20mA per colour or 60mA for when the LED is full on with all 3 colours (white)

with the 30 LED/M strip you have in 10 sections, each section has 3 LEDs, Now the 3 LEDs in series will still draw 20mA per colour, so the we can work out the calculated current of the strip

20mA x 10 sections (30 x 5050LEDs) = 0.2 amps per metre per colour which is 0.6 amps per metre when white

0.2 x 5 metres = 1 amp per colour which makes the strip 3 amps when white

Now using 60 LEDs/M the figure is really just doubled so it will be 0.4 amps per colour per metre or 2 amps per colour for a 5 metre strip which is 6 amps when white