Prelim walk-through on my RGB pixel display

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Looking real nice David, Im glad you are sorting out your issues, i look forward to seeing a sequence. You can definetly see that RGB creates a great effect and I think a few of us have shown how great looking this gear is. I think next year we will see a lot more RGB houses.
Now i know what i will use for next year to fill in my lawn, those stars look great.

Mike

CLAP infected!
Looks great David, Love the arches.

Nice clean look overall, cant wait to see the final product

Wombat

Full time elf
Very Nice David,

It will look great once it is finished. Good luck getting it done.

Wombat

ThaiWay

1500 C9's are not green
I'm green with envy David... er, ah, I mean I have a serious case of RGB envy! Truly cutting edge.

John

Pyrotech

New elf
Well, speaking as a newbie, I was not that impressed with any item , thought the tree looked bare etc.....Then I ran your other video Sample Preview, and my opinion changed somewhat. The tones matched across the board, the elements linked well, a 1930's feel to it or maybe art deco.

Now I cant wait to see the display in full.

dmoore

Senior elf
Pyrotech said:
Well, speaking as a newbie, I was not that impressed with any item , thought the tree looked bare etc.....Then I ran your other video Sample Preview, and my opinion changed somewhat. The tones matched across the board, the elements linked well, a 1930's feel to it or maybe art deco.

Now I cant wait to see the display in full.

I tried to do a sprial tree but it just wasn't workin for me. I'm only using what I have on the mini light tree in a few videos, I personally like the megatree balls that are in the tree better and I can apply transitions to them, making them easier to sequence.

I think as most people would agree, the videos never do justice to the "real world" sequences, even the well produced ones - and that video was surely not it. Once I get more sequences done and learn what works and what doesn't I'll post some. Maybe I'll finally catch up to Eddy!

What really sucks is that as I am doing sequencing, I come up with ideas for sequences that take full advantage of a pixel based display but it's just not possible because our software has yet to catch up (LSP is getting there) with the hardware.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DM i think your already there from what ive seen, your display looks awsome.

Im treating this year more like a familrization to the technology and my setup. So my sequences have only been limited in the effects that i could create easily. Im treating next year more as a mastering sequencing year as now the hardware seems to be conquered (nearly).

Once you get to a level of using RGB lighting and pixel based lighting, your display can look very different from year to year depending on how you sequence and what colours and transitions you use. Im actually thinking of setting up most of my display before Hollaween as all it would take is to make this a Hollaween display is to use colours like purple and orange and lightning effects with hollaween images coming on the matrix. You can now make the display different by just using software instead of making major hardware changes.

Truely a new level of doing lights and a Christmas display with an amazing amount of control and the colour and light output really does put traditional Christmas lights to shame. For me up to now it has been a smash hit over my way with well over 100 cars a night and nothing beats looking at the adults and teenagers and seeing that look of wonderment that a child gets when looking at Christmas lights. RGB really is a great effect

ptone

New elf
dmoore said:
What really sucks is that as I am doing sequencing, I come up with ideas for sequences that take full advantage of a pixel based display but it's just not possible because our software has yet to catch up (LSP is getting there) with the hardware.

I would love to hear your thoughts on how to take advantage of these displays and what you want from software. My project has currently been very congruous with your "death of the grid" article.

how long will your display be up? Any chance you have a Mac in the mix of gear available - or can run linux? I'd be interested in trying to create some sequences for your display to see if my ideas work as well as I think they would (I don't have the lights to test it on).

-Preston

dmoore

Senior elf
ptone said:
dmoore said:

I would love to hear your thoughts on how to take advantage of these displays and what you want from software. My project has currently been very congruous with your "death of the grid" article.

how long will your display be up? Any chance you have a Mac in the mix of gear available - or can run linux? I'd be interested in trying to create some sequences for your display to see if my ideas work as well as I think they would (I don't have the lights to test it on).

-Preston

I think the closest I've seen to "ideal" is prancer. It has a 3D space to define the objects/elements placement and he doesn't even have a grid. I like the way he has integrated the sequence right into the audio form.

My display will be up until around Jan 1. I don't have linux or a mac. If you have a sequence that can run in LSP or output to e131, I'd be happy to run it and send you a video. Let me know if you want me to send you a channel export from LSP.