Programming DMX2-18 in Xlights

Steve Eggins

New elf
Hey Guys, I have alot my Pixels going now but I have thousands of leftover String lights, I purchased a couple of DMX2-18 Boards and the power supplies etc from AAH but Now I am at a loss on how i connect to xlights. And make them flash etc
I would love some guidance if you have the time.
Thanks
Steve

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hi Steve
Just about any other time of the year I'd say give me a ring and I'd get you going via teamviewer. Today is megatree day here and tomorrow I hope to get the balance my major props sorted.
I generally create a custom prop with channels offset horizontally and vertically so that effects can turn on 1 half before the other.
The string needs to be configured as single colour as either white or if it's a fixed colour then that colour.
The protocol and port are potentially the fun part. If it's from a dongle then it would be open dmx. If it's from the dmx port of a pixel controller then I don't really know how it's configured.

Attachments

• Custom2.jpg
    Custom2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Custom1.jpg
    Custom1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 23

christmasdave

Full time elf
If you're going through a controller dmx port, I used the visualiser, placed the models on the chosen port (or ports potentially in your case) and then uploaded to controller and it all worked. I did have to set the dmx channel on the model itself in the layout tab though, and as I have it running in single channel mode (or whatever it's called?) my ports are 1-9. I'm using an advatek controller but show running at the moment and I can't recall if there was another specific setting I changed in the controller. If needed, I can take some screenshots and post them here tomorrow. Just let me know.
Edit: I should note that I am not going for sweeping effects for my older lights, I just want them to turn on/off when required, so Alan is the best for advice there.

Reactions: AAH

Steve Eggins

New elf
If you're going through a controller dmx port, I used the visualiser, placed the models on the chosen port (or ports potentially in your case) and then uploaded to controller and it all worked. I did have to set the dmx channel on the model itself in the layout tab though, and as I have it running in single channel mode (or whatever it's called?) my ports are 1-9. I'm using an advatek controller but show running at the moment and I can't recall if there was another specific setting I changed in the controller. If needed, I can take some screenshots and post them here tomorrow. Just let me know.
Edit: I should note that I am not going for sweeping effects for my older lights, I just want them to turn on/off when required, so Alan is the best for advice there.
Thanks Dave, I know terrible time of year to ask these questions, I have my pixels going but wanted to play with the old lights now, I appreciate the help at this time of year.

Steve Eggins

New elf
Thanks Al, I know terrible time of year to ask these questions, I know how busy you are and I appreciate the help :) I will give the custom model a crack and see how I go.
You guys are so helpful, Thanks again

Steve Eggins

New elf
Hey Guys, I have alot my Pixels going now but I have thousands of leftover String lights, I purchased a couple of DMX2-18 Boards and the power supplies etc from AAH but Now I am at a loss on how i connect to xlights. And make them flash etc
I would love some guidance if you have the time.
Thanks
Steve
Hi Steve
Just about any other time of the year I'd say give me a ring and I'd get you going via teamviewer. Today is megatree day here and tomorrow I hope to get the balance my major props sorted.
I generally create a custom prop with channels offset horizontally and vertically so that effects can turn on 1 half before the other.
The string needs to be configured as single colour as either white or if it's a fixed colour then that colour.
The protocol and port are potentially the fun part. If it's from a dongle then it would be open dmx. If it's from the dmx port of a pixel controller then I don't really know how it's configured.
Oh And yes I will go direct from the DMX port on the falcon

Steve Eggins

New elf
Hi Steve
Hey Al,
We have finally been allowed to do our lights again so I am re-visting the DMX2-18s I purchased from you a while back.

Any chance you could give me a crash course in getting them going? I would like to use one of the DMX ports on my F16v# controller if that will work?

If your able to teamview one day that would be awsome thanks.

Reactions: AAH

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The basic settings for using a DMX2-18 on an F16 would be something approximating below.

1698672307259.png

1698672275851.png