Public liability insurance

jamesski

Apprentice elf
who do people use for public liability insurance? Wanting to enter the 4KQ competition in Brisbane but I need public liability insurance to enter.

What company have people used and what is the approx cost? Only need it for the month of December

scamper

Dedicated elf
You are best to find a broker in your area that has a clue.
From experience (in business) public liability can be a mine field and is as good as useless.
I have tried various companies and ended up going through an elders broker who does all the grunt work and gets me the best rate.
In saying that of coarse, you may find that a Bendigo Bank or similar may have policies that you could get for something like that.
Sorry not much help, but the biggest thing is shop around.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Why do you need it? Is your light show on your own property and roped off so no-one can walk through it, or is it an interactive display where you encourage people to walk up and take a closer look? If the latter then I can understand it but if you only want people to look form the street, which is public/council property, then why do you need the insurance?
I think for that reason many people don't get it.

jamesski

Apprentice elf
I’m only going off the terms and conditions of entry it says

• Why do I need Public Liability insurance?
A Public Liability insurance policy protects you in the case of any accidents happening on your property. We ensure that you have current public liability policy as we are listing your display to be visited by members of the public. In the absence of a public liability policy, you will be disqualified. The minimum amount for this insurance is 5 million.
• How do I get Public Liability insurance?
Contact your preferred insurer and ask about cover for the period of public viewing (7th – 24th December)
If you don’t have a preferred insurer, we suggest you call and request a quote from providers such as; AAMI, GCU, Allianz, NRMA and others”

http://cdn.arn.com.au/media/8350841/2018-xmas-lights-faqs.pdf

It isn’t a interactive display where you can walk thru etc

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
hmm ok. Well is the wining prize worth the cost of insurance or more?
Or do you see the cost of insurance to enter as a way of gaining more exposure to your display? If yes then go for it.
But for me, there are plenty of other free ways to advertise your display and get more people to see it, imo.
I'd be interested to hear if many other people have PLI for their displays.

richardd

Full time elf
Have you checked you home and content insurancer, I spoke to the RAC and they said I would be cover for 20M.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.
[Click me /\]
Cheaper than Public Liability Insurance. If they trip over your gutter and fall 1m* into your yard it is all Council. Depending on your local state rules anything after 1m or a pathway is then your risk.

jamesski

Apprentice elf
Have you checked you home and content insurancer, I spoke to the RAC and they said I would be cover for 20M.
Thanks a million just had a look at my nrma insurance they cover public liability

Yew