Pure newbie in Bright, VIC

alistairm

New elf
Gday

I stumbled across your forum while trying to research a topic I know near nothing about and have enjoyed having a good read. Please forgive me in advance for my poor terminology.

My wife and I have just purchased a few cottages in Bright, Vic. The gardens are quite elaborate and with winter coming soon, I would like to try and rig up some plain, led fairy light 'strings' on one or two of the less leafy trees in our garden, they would look gorgeous from the road and add a bit of magic which our guests (and our 18 month girl) would enjoy.

Would anyone mind guiding me to the right kind of light for the following requirements? Or if not, the correct forum to ask?
We don't need programming or dimming, just lights that are either on or off. White LED lights would be preferable and the more discreet the cords, the better. I plan on wrapping them round and round the trunk and major branches and plugging them in to the light sensitive outdoor powerpoint already in place. A power source obviously isn't a problem.
[/size]
[/size]I've tried searching online but it is a little overwhelming. Online shopping is preferable as Bright is a little off the beaten track but I go to Melbourne regularly and can shop there if it broadens my options.
[/size]
[/size]I've attached a google image of an idea of what we are trying to do.
[/size]
[/size]Thank you all kindly in advance for any advice.
[/size]
[/size]Alistair

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 25

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome58.gif

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL

My only suggestion is off the shelf lights with primary factor being cord color.
Get closest cord color to the trunk you are wrapping.

If color is not close enough, try wrapping the LED's (while still bundled from box) with a bag and spraying a very light coating of better matching paint on the exposed cord. This should not result in the best paint job but may help a bit.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL
I recently bought some led fairy lights from ebay to test the quality
At the time they were on special for $30 for a 50m length. I've had them running on and off over the last few weeks and with the length of current days the solar cell and batteries have been enough to keep them going with the simple on/off flash for the full night.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281391773684?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=580420146036&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I grabbed the "warm white" ones as they to replace some incandescent lights that are currently on my mini trees. They are a Victorian seller and other than the wire being slightly on the skinny side the quality of them is pretty excellent.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I agree just off the shelf from Bunnings or the like is all you should require. I only suggest that if you are going to leave them there for a long time, then don't be tempted to wrap the strings too tight otherwise as the tree grows it will break the strings.

alistairm

New elf
Thanks for the replies folks! :)

Been a bit sloppy following it up as we're pretty busy this time of year but appreciate the responses.
AAH said:
Welcome to ACL
I recently bought some led fairy lights from ebay to test the quality
At the time they were on special for $30 for a 50m length. I've had them running on and off over the last few weeks and with the length of current days the solar cell and batteries have been enough to keep them going with the simple on/off flash for the full night.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281391773684?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=580420146036&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I grabbed the "warm white" ones as they to replace some incandescent lights that are currently on my mini trees. They are a Victorian seller and other than the wire being slightly on the skinny side the quality of them is pretty excellent.

This is just like what I am after, a very long string with a lot of white lights that can be left on overnight. However Im after something that can just be plugged in directly to a power supply which is attached to a timer that would turn it on at night and removes the need to plug in a charged battery every day.

I'll have a closer look at the t-brite suggestion, might be a goer...

Cheers