Push Button Speaker Box with Built in FM Receiver - As presented at the Perth 2023 Mini

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Hi All,

Have been meaning to post this for a little while. Below is information that i presented at the Perth Mini 10 June 2023.

1690532868703.png
Note: only one speaker wire is connected (red/black wires) as I was testing when i took the photo.

Purpose
Purpose of the push button speaker box is to enable speakers in your display to only play for a set amount of time based on a button push, and then switch off so the neighbors aren't hearing music all the time.

Inspiration
(7) VCS 2020 Push Button Speaker - Keith Peffer - YouTube
The Keith Peffer design is great, but even since 2020, the majority of links included in the video description are broken and I could not fine the most of the items online. My design uses the most common components available at multiple venders on AliExpress/Amazon/eBay as of June 2023. This will likely change but will be a good starting point. I've also included full item descriptions if the links stop working due to vendor changes etc.

Commercial Options
Similar commercial options are available from yourpixelstore for $225USD plus shipping. These boxes look great but do not have a FM receiver in them and rely on long 3.5mm audio cable from the push button box to your soundcard/PC/controller.

My Design
The Main difference to the commercial option above is the inclusion of the FM receiver. This avoids having to run an audio cable and only a single Power Injection 12v/5v point to function as well as the 2 speaker outlets. you could power from any 5/12v source but as we all seem to have Power Injection/Power Balancing wires running everywhere, its an easy option.

What you need to put it all together
Shopping List

StoreItemNumberCostTotal
Digi KeyBud Box - NBF32004 - 149.86 x 99.82x x 69.851$ 16.91$ 16.91
https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/bud-industries/NBF-32004/2328534
AliExpress33mm Arcade Push Button Led Momentary illiminated Transparent Buttons with Micro Switch Cabinet Accessories1$ 6.41$ 6.41
Arcade Game 100mm Push Button | Sport Push Buttons Arcade | Push Button Arcade Spare - Coin Operated Games - Aliexpress
AliExpress9V 12V 24V to 5V DC-DC Step Down Charger
Power Module Dual USB Output Buck Voltage
Board 3A Car Charge Charging Regulator 6-26V
1$ 2.64$ 2.64
9V 12V 24V to 5V DC DC Step Down Charger Power Module Dual USB Output Buck Voltage Board 3A Car Charge Charging Regulator 6 26V| | - AliExpress
AliExpressDC 6-30V Support Micro USB 5V LED Display
Automation Cycle Delay Timer Control Off Switch
Delay Time Relay 6V 9V 12V 24V
1$ 3.82$ 3.82
DC 6 30V Support Micro USB 5V LED Display Automation Cycle Delay Timer Control Off Switch Delay Time Relay 6V 9V 12V 24V|Integrated Circuits| - AliExpress
AliExpressGREATZT DC 12V 24V 120W*2 TPA3116 D2 Dual
Channel digital Power audio amplifier board
1$ 9.99$ 9.99
GREATZT DC 12V 24V 120W*2 TPA3116 D2 Dual Channel digital Power audio amplifier board good|Integrated Circuits| - AliExpress
AliExpressGREATZT PG7 Black Waterproof Plastic
Nylon Cable Gland Connectors Joints
4$ 0.88$ 3.52
GREATZT 10pcs PG7 Black Waterproof Plastic Nylon Cable Gland Connectors Joints| | - AliExpress
AliExpressFM Radio Receiver Module Frequency
Modulation Stereo Receiving PCB Circuit Board
With Silencing LCD Display 3-5V LCD Module
1$ 16.95$ 16.95
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400....order_list.order_list_main.44.621b1802FSnWz6
AliExpress3.5mm AUX to 3 pin1$ 5.11$ 5.11
1pc 30cm Jack 3.5mm AUX Audio Cable To XH2.54 3p Terminal Male To Male Female 3 Core Stereo Audio Cable Amplifier Extended Line|Connectors| - AliExpress
*Prices as of 20/05/2023 (all prices inc shipping in AUD)$65.35
Photos of all the items
1690532494871.png

Other Misc Items
Speaker Wire
3 core cable
Connector to external Power - I used Xconnect 2pin
Heat shrink
Crimp Connectors
Plastic screws/spacers/nuts
Speakers (outdoor rock speakers work great and blend in)
5/12v power source
FM Transmitter
Audio Source - output from Pi/BBB/External Soundcard/PC etc

Tools
Hot Glue Gun
Soldering Iron
Drill
Small hand tools
Stepped drill bit/Forster bit

Wiring Diagram
1690531510852.png

Push Button Wiring
1690531568799.png
Switch/button/trigger wiring – Brown & Blue
LED wiring – Brown & Green/yellow
Note: Brown & Blue could be wired in either location. Pushing the button completes the circuit and provides voltage to the trigger input and activates the relay.

Box Construction
There are no mounting hardware on the top of this box, so I hot glued some M4 plastic bolts to the top and then added some spacers and used plastic nuts to fix in place. I also used this method of hot glue on the bottom of the box as well. If i used a larger box i would have mounted the items on a bottom plastic/acrylic plate.
1690531757009.png

Wiring up the FM Receiver
The FM Receiver doesn't come with power connections and you need to solder directly onto the board. I am not the greatest at soldering and managed to get it attached reasonably easily. You will also need to source and attach an antenna wire. This can be any single strand wire you have lying around, i had some light blue wire from a previous project, needs to be reasonably thin. About 60cm/2foot in length should be enough. At the moment i have the antenna wire coiled up in the box, but I may need to feed it though a cable gland if the signal is not strong enough. Tell me how yours works!

1690532056704.png

Programming

Operating modes:

• P1.1:signal is triggered again, invalid - Multiple pushes the button and it does nothing, ie timer from first push is length of activation
  • P1.2:signal is triggered again, the clock is reset - Each button push resets the timer from the beginning
  • P1.3 - P4 - Not used
Timing range
  • 0.1 seconds (min) to 999 minutes (max) continuously adjustable
  • How to choose the time range?
  • After setting the mode selection screen parameter value by a short press "STOP" button to select the time range;
  • XXX. decimal point in the unit place, time range: 1 second to 999 seconds.
    • 1. X decimal point indecade place, Timing range: 0.1 seconds to 99.9 seconds
    • 2. X. X. decimal full brightness, Timing range: 1 minute to 999 minutes.
  • For example, you want to set Operational time to 3.2 seconds, then move the decimal point to decade place, the digital display 03.2
Programming
  • The module is powered up, the display at the current work mode (P1.1 default mode), then enter the main interface; press "SET" button for 2 seconds after release to enter mode selection interface; a short time by pressing "UP", "DOWN" key to select the mode (P1.1 ~ P-4).
  • Select the mode (such as P3.2), short press the "SET" button, then the parameter to be set flashes ( "OP" on-time, "CL" off time, "LOP" cycles ( "---" represents infinite loop)), by "UP", "DOWN" keys to adjust the parameter value, support long press (rapid increase or decrease) and short press (increase or decrease one unit); then short press the "STOP" key to select the decimal point position, select the time range (0.1 seconds to 999 minutes); short press the "sET" button to set the next parameters of the current mode of procedure is as above.
  • After the parameters are set, long press "SET" button for 2 seconds then release, the name of the current mode will flash once, and then return to the main screen, set the parameters of success!
  • The main interface: In the relay does not work status display "000" (no decimal point), with a decimal point under relay state.
  • Mode selection screen:Long press the "SET" key to enter, after setting is completed, long press the "SET" key to exit back to the main screen.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
1690532786337.png

Things Still to do
  • Make Push button Pole
  • Make 'Push For Music Sign'

Things I would do differently
This would have simplified the build quite a bit.
1690532640284.png
  • Install it in a larger box. I had several of the 150x100x70mm boxes on hand so tried to fit it all in and it really isn’t big enough and was as a game of Tetris to get it all in. Having a little more space would make it much cleaner. Some better options with similar prices below.
NBR-32004 - 150x100x70 - $16.91(what i used)
NBF-32010 - 150x150x90 - $19.97
NBF-32006 - 200x100x70 - $21.92

Some More Photos
1690532743497.png
1690532749335.png

1690533260082.png

Hope you enjoyed the build and if you have any questions please let me know. I would love to see some photos if anyone else attempts this build!

Thanks

JohnnyBoy

Last edited:

Jas0r

New elf
Hi @Johnnyboy

I've just made one of these today, neighbour commented about the noise at Christmas the other day so decided this is a good option.

Everything runs except the relay. Does your relay make a loud click? Mine is nothing, the little LED goes on below the counter but that's it. NC is always closed, NO always open and never changes when the counter runs.

Im guessing I got a dud. At least only a couple dollars to replace. Just thought I'd check.

It all works if I bypass the relay

Jas0r

New elf
Ok so a bit of an update.

I run 5V so wanted the whole system justy to be 5V, and it did except the relay wouldn't go. The amp, speakers and FM receiver all worked, the timer worked as far as the display, programming and the button. So I isolated the FM receiver and popped it in a 12V and the relay worked fine. Looking on Ali Express the wording talks about 6V - 30V. The relay does have 5V on it but either I got a dud or the relay needs 6V min to run. A bit misleading.
So rather than running 12V just to this I'm going to try this one which is listed as 5V.

A couple photos of my layout. 150x150 box with the amp behind the insert

Attachments

• PXL_20230813_013245488.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230813_013245488.MP.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20230813_013303963.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230813_013303963.MP.jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 41

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
. The relay does have 5V on it but either I got a dud or the relay needs 6V min to run. A bit misleading.
The board has a voltage regulator on it which is what allows it to run between 6 and 30V. This is most likely the black component above the relay next to the display, near the silver socket.
This will be dropping the input voltage down to 5V for the logic to work without worrying about the incoming voltage. Regulators require an input higher than their output, which is why it won't be switching on properly with only 5V at its input.

So yes, whilst it is a 5V relay, the overall board requires a higher voltage to operate correctly.

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Ok so a bit of an update.

I run 5V so wanted the whole system justy to be 5V, and it did except the relay wouldn't go. The amp, speakers and FM receiver all worked, the timer worked as far as the display, programming and the button. So I isolated the FM receiver and popped it in a 12V and the relay worked fine. Looking on Ali Express the wording talks about 6V - 30V. The relay does have 5V on it but either I got a dud or the relay needs 6V min to run. A bit misleading.
So rather than running 12V just to this I'm going to try this one which is listed as 5V.

A couple photos of my layout. 150x150 box with the amp behind the insert
Nice job on the box!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the relay, and while the 5v may be an issue, i think it's mostly an error with how the relay has been programmed. Note: the 5V is for powering the relay only. Looks like this can either be on the input rails or via the 5v USB power supply (given the usb is only 5v i dont see why the main rails wouldn't work. The switching function of the relay accepts 3-30V, so your 5v should trigger it fine. As your unit looks to be powered up and the relay buttons all work, i don't think its's a problem with the 5v.

From the look of your photo it is showing 000 seconds. This means that the time for the relay to function hasn't been set yet. Have a play around with the 'Set' button, you need to do some long (2secs+) to set the function. On the front screen when its all programmed correctly, it should show say 15seconds, and the timer should count down when pushing the trigger button. Then the relay should make the click sound and trigger.

Hopefully you can get it working

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
I built almost exactly this last year, and I abandoned it this year because it always had too much noise in the signal. I just couldn't get it clear enough with the FM receiver, so now I run a 3.5mm audio cable from a secondary controller to the box. Did you experience anything like that, and if so, how did you minimize the static/noise coming through the FM receiver?

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
@Jas0r
I had a play around with it today to see if I could match it showing the countdown but not activating the relay. On my one I can replicate it if I press the Stop button (while the countdown isn’t counting down). This will display the Off message, pressing again will display the On message. Then it worked again. Worth having a look

@CargoLights
Your post got me thinking as I hadn’t done a long range test. I hooked it up and transmitted across the length of the house through a bunch of walls. Was a little noice in the signal that went away when I played around with all the volumes across the devices and adjusted the aerial wire. Aerial wire made the most difference. Will probably extend my aerial wire to about 80cm, currently it’s about 30cm.

Jas0r

New elf
I got the new 5v labelled timer relay today listed above, installed it and worked right away so I think it was either faulty or just not made to activate the relay with 5v

100% running now and looks great.

PXL_20230823_110916126.MP.jpg

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
I do something similar for the last few years after stealing LDL's dead man switch food pedal idea. ( same as this but got it locally somewhere https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181764804459) also a bit more robust than a button that kids like to smash

slightly different setup - I use the foot pedal to trigger the timed relay you have used; the timed relay breaks the negative speaker connection between an old 12v car stereo using Aux input ( this allows me to do the 4x50 speakers. ) and instant on rather than waiting for a device to power up

allows for much cleaner audio being direct analog from the Pi4 and not poorly modulated / noisy FM