PVC Pipe price for archs

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Ive decided to do 5 fence arch's an 6 driveway arch's
which means i need 12x6m pvc piping.
Ive been ringing around localy an the best price i can get is about $11.50 for a 6m length,
so that works out to $138 bucks, ive tryed the 'its for my xmas display' but it aint working..

does anyone know cheaper places?
or am i stuck with this price?

ive thought of metal, but been told that could be double the price..

any idea's please?

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Are looking at the plumbing or electrical condiut?

I found in bunnings plumbing - 12mm 4m for $5 ea
electrical - 25mm 4m for $4 ea

SmartAlecLights

yer its the 12mm im looking at..$5 for 4m.. might be worth a shop when i come back from the adel mini at that price

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
I'd go with 25mm Elec conduit Alec, you'll find 12mm to be not rigid enough especially if you plan on doing Driveway arches.
Here in Vic its about $4 a 4mt length.

SmartAlecLights

ive ended up calling a faviour or 2 (im running out of them fast)
but i can use a friend's account (who gets a decent discount) an pay for it there an then..

but before i go that way, i want to be 100 sure..
ive only just learned there is 3 different types per size, which means the thickness of it..

bunnings sell the thinest stuff for there price.

class 8 , class 12 ,class 18

mborg10

Michael Borg
I managed to talk my way into $2.20 for 20mm 4m lengths conduit from an electrical wholesaler. I did buy 50 lengths and they included delivery for $110.

$2.20 is a really cheap price. My sparky mate rang and said look after me but even still I think standard was $3.00

davrus

Silent elf
I had to change my design, when I discovered that the only local electrical supplier in our town will charge me $30 for a 4 m length of electrical PVC pipe. I don't have a budget that can pay that price. I discovered that garden supplies are much cheaper, and I think I can make a good show using wooden lat trellis, and plastic grow rods, and grow tunnel hoops.

kane

Dedicated elf
smartalec said:
ive ended up calling a faviour or 2 (im running out of them fast)
but i can use a friend's account (who gets a decent discount) an pay for it there an then..

but before i go that way, i want to be 100 sure..
ive only just learned there is 3 different types per size, which means the thickness of it..

bunnings sell the thinest stuff for there price.

class 8 , class 12 ,class 18

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that those classifications (classes 9, 12 and 18) are for pressure pipe, rather than the electrical conduit. If you check out this page, it has the thickness of each class listed:
http://www.pipeonline.com.au/listProduct/PVC+PIPE/PRESSURE+PIPE

The other page I listed above has electrical conduit listed as MD or HD (medium or heavy duty) The MD (which most of us use) is the grey one, and the HD is the orange one, which is marginally more expensive.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I realise that I'm in NZ and you are talking Oz prices but I just had to share my excitement today of finding a local supplier in Auckland selling 4m lengths of 20mm conduit for $6:95. Previously could only get it for $17 per 4m ( unless I wanted to drive all the way to Takanini where Shell lives but that's bloody miles away from the Shore :) ). So started making my window surrounds tonight with the help of my 8 yr old son sawing the lengths of conduit. Got to get cracking..... only 9 months to go

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Lights for Cindy (sean) said:
i picked up 20 lengths for under $50 from go electrical.

Thats where I got mine from, after ringing around they had the best price for bundles of 25mm conduit.