question re. ECG-P2 and ws2812b compatability

kazimier

New elf
hello

i was wondering if anyone had much experience / luck using the ws2812b chipset led tape with the ECG-P2 - we have a few of these units that we have used for years for projects using the more conventional ws2801 tape. i recently ordered a load of ws2812b tape presuming it would work with the hardware, without doing enough research.. is it possible to control them from that hardware? how does the wiring work - given that the ws2812b only has 3 wires.. is it just a case of getting a firmware update onto the unit?

any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

myoung008

New elf
It works just fine. I have three ECG-P2s and lots of WS2811 / WS2812 / WS2812B.

Wiring is easy. Leave the clock line on the P2s disconnected. The two power lines and data will make it all work. (and power injection as appropriate)

The P2 will need to be reconfigured for the WS2811 protocol, and have a reasonable clock rate set (I always start with 3200). Some WS281x are set for low speed (800 or so??) but I've not encountered any personally.

The P2s should work without a firmware upgrade; I think some of the earliest ones came with firmware that didn't support WS2811. I've been using them for over three years without issue. I have recently upgraded the firmware for other reasons, but they worked out of the box with that protocol.

kazimier

New elf
that's great news - i just had an email from Ed also stating the same. looking forward to getting the tape and having a play - going from 32 pixels per meter to 144 will be one giant leap!

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I can second that they 2812B will work with a P2. Just use the 2811 setting. I don't remember off hand what speed I have used as I am using my P2 to test different strings and strips of 2812B, APA104, and APA106 pixels.
You might have to adjust the speed to get things right but it should work fine.