Questions about the pixlite 16

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Questions for L-Tay or Devo I guess.

1) Why does the controller need to be connected to a computer to use the test sequence on the lights? Not a criticism, just wondering.

2) When I run my sequences they seem faster in real life then what they are on the visualiser on the computer screen. Last night I was thinking about this and realised I have the ws2811 protocol with the fast setting. Was wondering if I should/could be using the slow option. Do you think it would make a difference or is it the case that if it works on fast it doesn't work on slow. Wasn't game to try it without asking in case it can do damage.

I don't really think this is the cause of making it look faster, but thought I'd ask whilst I thought of it.

Thanks

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
BundyRoy said:
Questions for L-Tay or Devo I guess.

1) Why does the controller need to be connected to a computer to use the test sequence on the lights? Not a criticism, just wondering.

Thanks

I have found that you dont need a computer connected, just need them connected to a powered on network switch. But it would be nice if it didnt need that, but then its a way to also test you have a network connection.

Devo

Apprentice elf
Community project designer
1) Eddy is right on this. The board by design requires a valid network connection before it will start running the main application and thus the hw test pattern.

2) The visualizer speed is likely to be a function of your PC more than anything else.
The protocol speed that needs to be used will vary depending on the specific type of 2811 chip that is used in your pixels (they come in 2 speed variants.) Changing to the slow speed will likely result in your pixels not working at all if they use the higher speed chip variant.