Quick power injection question about 12V

battle79

Full time elf
Hey happy CLAPers,

Just wondering if I need to worry about injection power in my 12V candy canes.
Mainly concerned that I am using 9x Ray Wu 3pin connectors to join each of my 8 candy canes and the controller. Each cane has 16 of the 12V 2811 modules (128 total). Really just wondering if the smaller guage of the wire in the connector has too much resistance when conbined with that many modules.

If anyone has built something along these lines and has any feedback that would be awesome.

It's not that hard to add it later, but definately easier now while i'n building the last couple.

Cheers,
Rowan

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
treat the modules the same as a section of 12vdc 2811 strip, so 10 modules = 1 metre. so 50 modules is 5 metres which is the same as a strip so thats where i would look at injecting because you also have to take into account the added voltage drop coming from the wiring between the candy canes. The bes optio is to supply 12vdc at the beginning, then in the middle. thaen see if that works, if not then add some injection at the end, this is how i had setup my 20 candy canes which was 8 modules x 20 candy canes = 160 modules, so that is equivalent to 3 and a bit 12vdc strips.

battle79

Full time elf
I'm up to 4 candy cane made. Still no problems with voltage drop, but thinking the next one might be worth adding a injection point before sealing up. Could always move it further down the line as more are finished.

Seems I have testing to do. (And lots of candy canes to finish) :)

Cheers,
Rowan

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
battle79 said:
I'm up to 4 candy cane made. Still no problems with voltage drop, but thinking the next one might be worth adding a injection point before sealing up. Could always move it further down the line as more are finished.

Seems I have testing to do. (And lots of candy canes to finish) :)

Cheers,
Rowan

well considerring your at 32 pixels/modules already, and that there is distance between the canes, your on the right track in thinking to inject.

sure, that means you will have 3 - 4 injection points accross your cane display, but as i mentioned, the space between each of your canes and the cable being used could attribute to voltage drop.

nothing worse then (from personal experience) seeing that lovely pink haze in your lights when you want full white.