Quick Reference Guide to the E680 Pixel Controller

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Guys

I have put together a one pager so users of the E680 pixel controller have a quick reference to configuration commands and board information.
Hopefully a few of you out there should find it very helpful.

Attachments

• E680 Quick Reference.pdf
    363.1 KB · Views: 88

dmoore

Senior elf
I really wish Jim would put something as simple as a "HELP" command that allows you to pull back a list of commands. When I went to set the IP address on mine the last time it took me 30 minutes of reading through the documentation to set the address. Ideally it would have a web interface - the command line interface is great for the linux crowd but not so much for the LOR/Lynx crowd (my opinion). That said, it's still a good, functional controller.

TimW

Full time elf
dmoore said:
Ideally it would have a web interface - the command line interface is great for the linux crowd but not so much for the LOR/Lynx crowd (my opinion).

Sigh....

Next you'll be telling me that this controller requires an old fashioned through hole soldering technique and that some component sourcing and assembly is required!

I hope not. Because I once had to spend over half an hour reading through the instructions and figuring out where all the components went to build something like this.

Then I had to wire up some cables and a power supply. I had to learn stuff. Didn't enjoy it at all. It was an outrage!

Yeah, the lack of online command 'help' has really held this board back. What? Did I hear it was working last year? And open source? And some people still like building stuff and reading about it?

That said, it's still a good, functional controller.

Its a great, function rich, innovative, easy to build, DIY controller... (and - not to put too fine a point on it... its out there, in use, NOW.)

jstjohnz

Apprentice elf
Both comments appreciated. David was one of the very first to use the E680, and he did put together a great list of suggestions for software tweaks. Unfortunately I've been more focused on working on new features than going back and improving the UI.

FWIW, there are some neat features coming soon, including support for a 12-bit pixel. The 12-bit intensity range allows for gamma correction so that the dimming curve is extremely smooth and much closer to incandescents. I think it will be a great pixel for large video matrices where the intent is to render video or images.

Hopefully I will be able to include some of David's suggested improvements to the UI in the next release as well.
It will probably still be command-line based though due to memory constraints.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I really dont see an issue with the command based structure of the E680, yes you have to remember commands but that was the reason of the quick guide, it now has all the important stuff that you may need to remember all on 1 easy page that can be easily printed and kept with the unit if needed.
I like the E680, for what it offers and for the price, it is another great option out there amongst the the few different types of e1.31 pixel controllers currently available. Choice is always a great thing and we are spoilt in this hobby with such a great range of pixel controllers available to us.

joeengler

Apprentice elf
Fasteddy said:
Guys

I have put together a one pager so users of the E680 pixel controller have a quick reference to configuration commands and board information.

Eddy, like always a great job and thanks for your continued effort in documentation. Can I make a small suggestion, anyway you could label the positive and negative for the small 5v connecter.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
joeengler said:
Fasteddy said:
Guys

Eddy, like always a great job and thanks for your continued effort in documentation. Can I make a small suggestion, anyway you could label the positive and negative for the small 5v connecter.

I will be updating this soon with the new 3001 features, so ill also add this as well.

taybrynn

Apprentice elf
Eddy, you always put together the nicest looking pictures which are packed with helpful and easy to understand information. What program do you use to draw so nicely with?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
taybrynn said:
Eddy, you always put together the nicest looking pictures which are packed with helpful and easy to understand information. What program do you use to draw so nicely with?

Nothing real special, for the E680 i used MS Word 2010 and for the layout diagrams i use MS Visio. Working as an electrical strategist for Australias largest steel manufacturer, part of my tasks are developing easy to read material for trades men and contractors so im glad to use those skills to also help others within this hobby.