Ray Wu mini DMX to Pixel Controllers

shiner

New elf
In chatting with Ray last night, he revealed that his engineer can encode these for any channel count. Previously, we thought this was limited to 128/256/512, but he can program them for anything you need.

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209915969-440556851/Mini-protocol-Decoder-DMX-to-LPD6803-512-dmx-address-decoded.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209915969-440556828/Mini-protocol-Decoder-DMX-to-WS2801-512-dmx-address-decoded.html

I have a few small elements that the 32 and 64 would come in handy for and not waste a bunch of channels on any given universe.

If I wasn't planning for a fail rate, I would probably order exactly the channel counts I needed per element, but I need to be able to plug in spares if something fails.

For those who have not seen these - they take DMX in, and communicate pixel out - 6803 or 2801 depending on the model you order. They act like pixels in a way and do not have a start number - they assume anything that gets to them is information for them. The controllers then cut off the corresponding number of channel data before passing it onto the next DMX item. So, if you have a 128 channel controller and send it 512 channels in, it will send channels 129-512 onto the next device.

This does lead do a programming topic - if they can program the channel size, can't we program them too....?

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Very exciting Chris. I have one of these to play with and see heaps of potential if indeed we could give it a end address. I have no idea how many channels it is now as i haven't plugged it in yet.

JPB

Full time elf
I have one of these running a full 512 channels on a tree being driven by one of RPMs USB-DMX interfaces.
I have a minor glitch in that at times all the pixels go off for a fraction of a second. Joe Public probably won't notice it and I am not too concerned.
I actually have two of the pixel controllers and they both do the same thing but I only have one USB-DMX interface so I can't really prove where the problems lies.
As I said, I am not going to worry about it for this year. I will be interested to hear if any others see the same thing.

Jon