Ray Wu Pixels Help needed

Nuzzy

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the responses. I emailed Ray last night and he said they 22 AWG. Whether it’s 22 or 24 like ifox mentioned, it’s small wire.

I think I could be ok with 3inch spacing as I’m wanting to start with a tree with 2inch spacing - although I have no experience so I’m not sure if you need extra wiggle room in the spacing to actually move and insert into node strips.

Would the 22 or 24 gauge wire still fit the 50 pixel generalization (for 5V) before needing to power inject?
When I got mine I tested to see how far I could push them before needing to power inject, hooked them up at 100% intensity and powered up 1 string. It was nice and bright all the way along the string. Next I added another string of 50, these were ever so slightly duller than the first string. Then I added a 3rd sting and these were substantially duller.

So if you were only injecting at one end then you would have to inject every 50, if you are injecting between strings then you could inject every 100 because the voltage travels both ways. Ie, it will power the 50 before and 50 after the injection point.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Bear in mind that 3in spacing if needed on a prop such as boscoyo strip, may actually need 4in spacing of the node string to allow enough slack to fit nice and straight in each hole, plus its less stress on joins.

Cranzy

Full time elf
Bear in mind that 3in spacing if needed on a prop such as boscoyo strip, may actually need 4in spacing of the node string to allow enough slack to fit nice and straight in each hole, plus its less stress on joins.
Makes sense :)

bear

New elf
OK....so as I suspected, 100mm spacings and 100 nodes is 10 metres of light strip........Correct?? Can you order whatever length you want or will you get 10 x 10 metre lengths which is 1000 nodes???
On those lights they say each light pulls
Don't take my word for this as I just started with pixels and ordered from Ray 3 days ago.
I got the 12v pixels and made sure i got the 18AWG wire. I got 1000 bullets and 2000 square nodes. (i did request mine 3" spaced apart and not 4")

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...l?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.22.173c4d52oblWWf
3inch spacing is fine by me as I generally wouldn't want to space my pixels more than that anyways. :)
if a string of these 100 lights does that toatal to 80 watts

i13

Dedicated elf
I wouldn't trust the AliExpress listing values. WS2811 pixels are limited to 18.5 mA per colour which is a total of 55.5 mA per pixel. In reality, the actual current draw is often less. Multiplying 100 lights by 0.0555 amps and 12 volts gives an absolute maximum of 66.6 watts.

Cranzy

Full time elf
I wouldn't trust the AliExpress listing values. WS2811 pixels are limited to 18.5 mA per colour which is a total of 55.5 mA per pixel. In reality, the actual current draw is often less. Multiplying 100 lights by 0.0555 amps and 12 volts gives an absolute maximum of 66.6 watts.
Also, depending on what gauge wire it is, wire length etc. Best to test with the actual pixel string to see what it draws.