Ray's DMX 512 Decoder - Channel Selector - won't keep DMX address

Biloxiflee

New elf
I have 3 of the DMX512 decoders (silver boxes) that decode ws2811 (or 2801). I purchased the HC302 channel selector to set the starting addresses of each. (2 on 1 univ, 1 on another) each using 150 channels.

1st, didn't know unless I did something wrong in LOR, if I program addr. 101, by 1st channel is 102. SO I program it to 100 and I get 101 controlled in LOR. They work fine, LOR can control the strings fine.

2nd they only do RGB. My pixel strips were BRG so I had to remap every channel in the RGB channels of LOR, but it works.

Here is the question. Why when I power them off, and back on later, do they default back to channel 1?

Any one have this issue? Or am I once again doing something wrong?

You power up the channel selector, connect DMX to Decoder, power up the decoder with a string on it, set the ones, tens, hundreds, and confirm, they flash 888, the string comes on, and you are done. unplug the dmx and plug back into the universe, and power cycle the decoder and ready to use. They work fine at the address set.
however, power them off again for more than 2-3 sec and they default back to DMX channel 1.

Help!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 15

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Is there a step where you need to save the settings, i dont have these but with other controllers you can change the settings but if they are not saved then they will revert back to the original settings when powered back up

Biloxiflee

New elf
There is only a Confirm button, which seems to set the address. if the value takes, the display changes to 888 then back to the address you set, and the string of lights come on and stay on.

You have to power cycle the decoder to turn off the string after plugging back into dmx network. The address still stays at this point. Only when powering down for a min or so does it revert.

Biloxiflee

New elf
I also notice that DMX does not pass through if the unit is off. And until DMX is received, the unig is in the test pattern and must be power cycled before it will receive dmx. poor design. no way to set test mode off always.

I think once it is set it works 1st time, if you power cycle and dmx is still being received, it stays the 1st time you power cycle, but if you power cycle again with no dmx signal, it reverts.

they work fine at address 1, which means the channel selector for $19 was useless as long as you have enough universes to use them at address 1. Guess I will have to buy an ECG-D4 just for them.

If anyone else has had luck setting dmx addresses on these, let me know. Thanks.