Ray's New P2811 Pixel Icicles

Kitman

Full time elf
Just ordered and paid for 2 custom made Pixel Icicles, alternating drops of 4 and 6 pixel's with 12cm between each drop and 10cm between each pixel per drop.

Having female connectors on both ends so I can connect them up either end and power inject if needed, the string is 120 pixels 12v WS2811.

Will post some pictures once they rock up and I test them so everyone can see what they look like and also if the string will need power injection or not, I hope not but we shall see.

damona

Full time elf
So how are you entering these into the software to drive them? I would have thought these are not a pre-made model in the software to select from?

richardd

Full time elf
I created a model in xlights for my icicles I first designed it in excel that I transferred it the a custom model

Kitman

Full time elf

Kitman

Full time elf
So I ordered 2 strings of custom pixel icicles from Ray, has taken a while to finally get them but they rocked up today..... Nothing like what I actually ordered, wanted them with drops of 6 and 4 with specific spacing between each drop and each light in the drop, however all he has supplied is a longer string of the ones available on his page.

I included a picture that I made in paint showing exactly what I wanted and it seems he totally ignored that and just made what ever, so very disappointing, glad that I only order 2 sets as a test otherwise I would have 10 sets of useless lights on my hands.

Habbosrus

Back again
Kitman said:
So I ordered 2 strings of custom pixel icicles from Ray, has taken a while to finally get them but they rocked up today..... Nothing like what I actually ordered, wanted them with drops of 6 and 4 with specific spacing between each drop and each light in the drop, however all he has supplied is a longer string of the ones available on his page.

I included a picture that I made in paint showing exactly what I wanted and it seems he totally ignored that and just made what ever, so very disappointing, glad that I only order 2 sets as a test otherwise I would have 10 sets of useless lights on my hands.
Contact him with your issues. He is normally very responsive to issues. I would let him know that they are not what you ordered. If you have been specific, he should replace them.

i13

Dedicated elf
I'm sure this wasn't the only issue but remember that Ray can misunderstand the spacing as meaning the length of wire soldered between each node. This is not the centre-to-centre measurement from LED to LED which is usually what we want.

Kitman

Full time elf
Got a response from Ray already advising that he messed up and will make me a new set.

Not sure how he could mess it up so badly considering this is the image that I included when I was emailing him asking to have these custom made.

The default one's that he sell look nothing like these. I tried to make it as easy as possible and still it was wrong lol.

I guess this is what we get dealing with people overseas.

Attachments

• Custom Pixel Icicles.jpg
    Custom Pixel Icicles.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 92

Habbosrus

Back again
Kitman said:
Got a response from Ray already advising that he messed up and will make me a new set.

Not sure how he could mess it up so badly considering this is the image that I included when I was emailing him asking to have these custom made.

The default one's that he sell look nothing like these. I tried to make it as easy as possible and still it was wrong lol.

I guess this is what we get dealing with people overseas.
You'll probably find that it's not Ray, but "one" of the Ray's misinterpretation. It's good that he is rectifying quickly. Just a pain that it had to be wrong in the first place. I have only had a couple of very minor issues but he has been very responsive to any problems and has offered to replace or refund each time.

Kitman

Full time elf
Yeah I hope everything works out in the end, sad part is these are just my "testing" strings to see if what I want to do is going to work, I still need to order more strings to outline my house, so I hope I can get this sorted really quickly so I can order the next lot so they are here in time for light up.

This is actually my first order from Ray, the first lot of lights, power supplies and pig tails I got from Ben and that was a pleasurable experience, for my first dealing with Ray not a good look hahaha.

Wanted to get Ben to make these but he was to busy with the god damn strobe lights lol.

Skunberg

Full time elf
Custom is hard with the language issue. But not impossible, I just ordered some wiring tee's 343 in white. He already had them in black, but we went back and forth three times on the invoice before I felt it was right and going to be O.K. and when it showed up it was fine.

Kitman

Full time elf
So I originally ordered my custom lights on August the 14th and it took until the 7th of September before I got them, all totally wrong.

I contacted Ray the same day and advised him of the error and he said he would correct it by sending some replacements, which have now been made AND shipped as of yesterday, wow now thats service I can't ignore, now hopefully I am not disappointed again this time.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Kitman said:
So I originally ordered my custom lights on August the 14th and it took until the 7th of September before I got them, all totally wrong.

I contacted Ray the same day and advised him of the error and he said he would correct it by sending some replacements, which have now been made AND shipped as of yesterday, wow now thats service I can't ignore, now hopefully I am not disappointed again this time.

Although "Ray" does sometimes have issues with interpretation, he has always been fantastic with after sales service.

I was a bit worried about my latest custom request see attached, yet I got them a few days ago and they were perfect, every little detail was spot on. Thanks Ray.

Attachments

• Custom Lights - Armstrong1.jpg
    Custom Lights - Armstrong1.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 76

rfallatt

New elf
Ray's New P2811 Pixel Icicles

I have a question.
I'm about to make an order from Ray also. I'm struggling with the amount of nodes on each string. I thought I would go with the standard but now that I see the (2)84 strings it make more sense todo this set up. Comments? Like power injection or otherwise.
I also saw some people are getting the T's in the 343 setup, why would you do that?

Kitman

Full time elf
I received my replacement set from Ray the other day which I had custom made, they are WS2811 chips, 12v with drops of 6 and then 4 repeating so I have 120 nodes per string. I fired this up and even with a 3 meter lead in cable and the whole string only running the test pattern from a Sandevice e682 I only had a 1v drop across the entire string so 11.8v in and 11.1v out the other end, you could potentially connect 2 of these strings together and not have an issue with voltage.

The good thing about the icicles is the way they are wired, as the + and - not only goes down each drop but it runs across the top of the string, so really having a string of 120 nodes with drops of 6 and 4 is equivalent to a string of 24 nodes that you are hanging a few other nodes off, so the voltage is spread more evenly across the string, rather than having to travel through the entire string of 120 nodes, it's like having a T at every drop.

I still need to do some more tests and push all white through them to see how many amps it's drawing etc but so far pretty happy, except the spacing between the drops is still wrong but I can fix that when I hang them.