Recommendations on Leaping Arches Material

Dreamin

Full time elf
Thanks whatthej for posting the link. I think I posted photos and a video there.

I looked all over for no clear but a frosted look so that the lights were diffused. I found a lot of stuff but it was quite thick or no flexible or too flexible. The greywater stuff was about $40 and could make 5 1m wide arches. I’m happy as a first attempt, they aren’t perfect, but do the job for my first year and look great when lit up.

Adsy

Full time elf
Ok so I had previously stated in another thread that this probably wouldn't work but I am prepared to possibly eat humble pie. Bunnings sell this particular pool hose 8m long for $40 so potentially 3-6 arches per roll. The hose slips over the 32mm inspection tee nicely but will require bracing to hold its shape or it will fail. I will confirm this tomorrow but here is a small sample I tested. BTW I still swear by the air seeder hose but for those looking at other options this will give a similar result.

Attachments

• mini arch plain.jpg
    mini arch plain.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 50
  • mini arch.jpg
    mini arch.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 54

Dreamin

Full time elf
Ok so I had previously stated in another thread that this probably wouldn't work but I am prepared to possibly eat humble pie. Bunnings sell this particular pool hose 8m long for $40 so potentially 3-6 arches per roll. The hose slips over the 32mm inspection tee nicely but will require bracing to hold its shape or it will fail. I will confirm this tomorrow but here is a small sample I tested. BTW I still swear by the air seeder hose but for those looking at other options this will give a similar result.
Hi Adsy, that is exactly the same effect I get with the grey water hose at bunnings. It's light grey, but almost identical with a ribs. Looks good to me. :)

Adsy

Full time elf
I might be looking at the same hose as you.. this one? https://www.bunnings.com.au/pts-8m-vacuum-hose_p0012992
I've got a 3D printer so I'll be using that to make the feet. what're you using as a brace in your photos @Adsy ?
Yep that's the hose. No bracing used in the photo just a couple of hand tools to stop the conduit tees from wanting to splay out. I would suggest a 40mm pipe head clip on each end attached to either some aluminium or steel flat bar/round bar . This method has been used for air seeder hose and I have done this for my first arches made from 20mm pvc pipe so this will work

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Quite creative!
I feel like this hose would be too flexible if made any larger however? WOuld be great to be proven wrong and see the results though! Sure a brace will stop the ends from moving out, however will the hose be rigid enough to support itself or would some other material be needed to brace the arch and maintain its shape if it were say 2-2.5m long?
I know the air seeder is more expensive but that is also the appear, it has a natural curve but is rigid enough to support itself.
I only use tent pegs to hold the feet in place, no brace at the bottom and they just sit there all December.

Adsy

Full time elf
I actually don't use any bracing for air seeder arches either as Graham said they form their own natural arch. If I get a chance this arvo I have an old spiral thingy that I previously had cable tied to a gabion wall, I may just carve it up see what happens !20191230_133852.jpg

Adsy

Full time elf
update on the pool hose option. @1700mm it began to lose its shape so internal bracing would be required. I don't have anything on hand to perform this test
so good luck to anyone who pursues it.

Dreamin

Full time elf
update on the pool hose option. @1700mm it began to lose its shape so internal bracing would be required. I don't have anything on hand to perform this test
so good luck to anyone who pursues it.
When I did mine I used some metal straps for mount the light strips to, and then the hose is longer so pushed up against the strap.. It's a bit flexiable but seems to have worked ok.

whatthej

New elf
I intend to make 2.5m lengths of arches. To prop up the inside I'm looking to purchase some spring steel lengths ($8 for 5m), kite spars (fibre rods) or convert old trunking ($13 for 4m) into thin strips. Unfortunately my shipment for WS2811s has been indefinitely delayed so I will have to find an alternate source! I'm looking to get around 50m of it.