Recommendations to mount coro to rendered wall?

janastas

Full time elf
Hi All,

I have three Chroma Eggs that I want to mount on a rendered wall (Actually the entrance to the house and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations).

The weight of the coro plus the pixel strings does have a bit of weight behind it so not sure if it's a good idea to attach directly to the render.

The alternative I was thinking was to use the guard rail on the balcony to run some rope and somehow tie it to the coro, i could then tie some further rope to the bottom of the coro and fasten it to floor planks underneath the balcony.

See the photo below.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
All I can think of is attaching it to the balcony handrail (Yellow rope) and using a backing board (white). Attaching the bottom to each light is more for stability so it doesn't sway or lift in the wind.
Capture.PNG

Replacing a solid backing to an open conduit frame would do better as the wind wouldn't lift it.

Capture2.PNG

Either way for using a rope; I anticipate you'd need something to prevent the rope from rubbing against the top edge and damaging the rendered wall.

janastas

Full time elf
Thanks for that and great ideas. I think the open conduit frame could be a better option and less likely to get pulled loose by the wind.

Re: the rope rubbing, not too concern about that as I could wrap some foam where the edge is and just sticky tape it.

So silly question about the coro, would I just drill new holes to attach to the frame or is there a better way?

TerryK

Retired Elf
I would think new holes with standoffs to have the frame clear the back end of the pixels. Depending upon how dense the pixels are and location of the frame, there is a good chance pixels will be sitting under the frame. I would I think not have the vertical sections of the frame as if each egg was bolted to the frame in 4 or 6 places the assembly would not want to 'paralellogram' easily if at all. If it would a single crossbeam hidden behind one of the eggs would prevent that. Otherwise, as Mark sketched, a 4 point suspension.

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
For those who read this later
This is how I mounted some coro props

View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcz0603lupw55nk/Photo%2029-7-20%2C%204%2009%2000%20pm%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
I've got a similar dilemma as the OP and I am in the process of testing a few different methods to secure both props and house outlines.
My entire property is cement rendered and drilling is not an option for the most part.

In my case, I've got a garden bed between the first and second story and then on the top I've got a square section and my plan will be to use brackets to hold my final 'structure' mounted from these two points. I am currently testing 4mm ply - I will post up some examples when I've got it setup.
I could potentially end up doing it in coro, or PVC / channel - decisions that will all be made along the way through trial and error.

Going to get a Gilbert Engineering Hattitude Triune to put on the rendered wall above the far right balcony. @LawrenceDriveLights method will definitely be utilised to stand off the prop from the wall.

Picture attached - Lights will only feature on the right property this year (it's a duplex).

BF0E844E-E695-46BA-91C1-25F4F8CAD723.JPG