RGB 2811 strips and signal issues

yzguy96

Full time elf
i disconnected the whole 2nd floor and just kept the null pixel hooked up....the null pixel starts to flicker when i do that? i only ran the data cable from the first floor to the null should i run the ground too? its getting the ground from the 2nd power supply thats back fed into the null pixel

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
I would still be running the ground as close the controller as I can, especially for a null pixel ( you have to run data. so might as well run gnd as well).

yzguy96

Full time elf
OK I did. When I only turn on the universe of the windows it works fine? If I turn on the first universe at full power I see the first pixel upstairs flicker?

Kaden

Check wire gauge (thickness) on the positive and more importantly ground wires of all the pixels connected and all the way to the power supplies to ensure they are rated for your full load (+ a little to be safe). If the ground cable cant handle the load it might be causing timing issues on the data wire.

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok im running all 14awg except i have small wire in the corners of my windows to make the 90 degree turns...i used 22awg in 3 inch lengths.

Kaden

Looking at your diagram, I would:
- make sure the ground of each of each power supply is connected to the ground on the output side of the controller.
- make sure the apex of your roof has + and gnd (not shown in your pic)

In fact I have added a pic of what I would do :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    146.1 KB · Views: 15

yzguy96

Full time elf
Thanks...what are the wires you drew going from p1 to p2? If they are ground then that's what I did. Yes power and ground go to apex. The only piece I didn't have in that I just added was the ground from roof 1 to the second floor window. I just ran a ground from p1 closer to the power supply instead from the end of the roof...I got things working OK but not perfect. I will send link to my YouTube video.

yzguy96

Full time elf
Here is what I have so far...some colors are off and I'm off a pixel cause I think I added a null pixel in the p2...two trees out of order but the sequence will have to do this year...I tried to do too much last minute but at least I have something up as my first display. I will keep trying but its Xmas soon lol. Next year I will start earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhsycGGvJIY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok i will when i get home...i have LOR so you want to see my network settings or each group of RGB channels?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It still turned out great and I doubt any of the viewers would have a clue that its not done the way you intended.

That is one of the things about DIY, there is a lot to learn and understand and starting at the end of October makes it very hard to take it all in, get what you want and test

yzguy96

Full time elf
thanks had some setbacks with my led order which took 3 weeks cause fedex lost it but then found it but it was too late cause i reordered so got twice the leds lol

attached are my screen shots of my config for my p2 and LOR

Attachments

• j1sys p2 effect.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 12
  • j1sys p2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • LOR config.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8