RGB Digital 6803 Strip

stjohnson90

New elf
Hello,

Im getting kinda confused.

I am looking at getting some RGB Digital 6803 Strips for my house.

4 for the top and 4 for the bottom.

I am planning on purchasing LSP. I already have LOR, but it seems easier to get LSP. I also already have to LOR controllers.

What will i need to make the strips work?

Thanks!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
stjohnson90 said:
Hello,

Im getting kinda confused.

4 for the top and 4 for the bottom.

I am planning on purchasing LSP. I already have LOR, but it seems easier to get LSP. I also already have to LOR controllers.

What will i need to make the strips work?

Thanks!

These strips will not work with a LOR controller or any normal DC controller, they require a SPI controller

The differnce between a 6803, 2801, 1804 and any othe SPI data strip is that is uses data for communicating to an IC on each section (pixel) of the strip to control individual sections as apposed to a normal non digiital strip that doesnt have IC chips which just use a DC controller to control the whole strip by just turning on a red, green and/or blue channel from your DC controller.

The controller that can be used with the 6803 would be a tp3244 or the ECG-PIXAD8 or any other SPI controller that states it controls the 6803 IC

dmoore

Senior elf
stjohnson90 said:

Might I recommend against 6803 strip unless you are on an ultra-tight budget? The 6803 has only 32 levels of fading compared to 2801 or 1804 which are 256 levels. Not worth the few dollars it "saves" you.

Checkout this document for a full list of controllers and pixel chips along with their specifications:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/rgb/RGB-Basics.pdf

I'd also recommend watching the /complete/ video series here at:

http://www.HolidayCoro.com/rgb

mschell

Full time elf
stjohnson90 said:
Are there any controllers that you can recommend that are available?

The E680 over on DIYC is currently available, but needs to be built as opposed to being available assembled.

There's also another DMX pixel controller kit coming available from RPM in the next month.

Several pixel controllers are probably also available from China, and there's always commercial versions, but at significant price difference.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
stjohnson90 said:
Are there any controllers that you can recommend that are available?

1st some questions

1: What do you want to do with the controller, Do you only want something so you can just use for testing the strips/strings when you get them, or do you want these now for your show because you cant wait

2: Do you want to build your controller or do you want it already built

3: How many channels do you want to control, or how many pixels/nodes or how many strings/strips

4: Do you want fused outputs to protect each output from shorts

5: Do you want E1.31 which connects directly to your network output of your computer and does not require a dongle or DMX input which will reaquire a DMX dongle which you may still need anyway if your going to be converting your LOR boards over to use DMX

There are a few different options available depending on what you want to do and what skill level you have building these and if you are patient to wait for a pre built version.