RGB dumb node approach using new 2811 > dumb cards

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Hey all,

So I am intrigued by the new 2811 > dumb RGB cards that have been discussed around these forums. I have two oak trees that I would like to wrap, but don't necessarily need pixel level control. I will have multiple P12R cards in the yard already and could easily pull 5-10 pixels out and run one or two of the 15 or 30 channel controllers.

If I were to buy one of the 30 channel controllers, I could control, let's say, 10 of these strings:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-RGB-12mm-through-hole-LED-node-100pcs-a-string-in-all-black-color-wires/701799_677300261.html

They 100 nodes long x 0.3W = 30W / 12V = 2.5A . I would use 10 strings of 100 nodes which means 25A total (350W power supply should suffice) and the 2811 > dumb RGB cards say they can do up to 30A by replacing the fuse.

My question is, am I thinking this through the right way? Any gotchas y'all can catch?

I also have 8-10 bushes in my front yard that I'm thinking about putting a single 50 node string in each... obviously the wattage would be half that of the example above, but the number of strings and channels would be similar... Again, I don't really need pixel level control in the bushes...

Thank you!!

nutz4lights

Full time elf
I'm sorry. I could see how by mentioning oak trees and bushes, it might be misconstrued that I was interested in landscaping lighting. This is for Christmas purposes, though, and that is the reason I would want to use the P12R and Alan's cards.

Thanks guys!