RGB LED Strip IP65 and Direct Sunlight

ihometechnology

New elf
Hi All,

I am about to embark on my first Christmas lights display this year, I have purchased some LED Strip (IP65) to do my roof and window outlines. I was planning to attach the strip to 20mm conduit then to my roofline with conduit mounting clips (as per link below). My concern is the LED strip being exposed to direct sunlight for 3-4 weeks. So I thought I’d ask the question and perhaps if you could provide any advise regarding this it would be very much appreciated. I would like to avoid having to purchase 50-60m of LED strip every year if possible :)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Conduit Mounting Clips - https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-20...rzkQTE5QQsdDe8ZFUgoaApZtEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

darylc

404 darylc not found
search the forums for bunnings end cap, I put my strip in that and it has lasted 5 years+

Goliath

Full time elf
Pretty sure a few weeks will be fine. I got lazy and left mine up all year. A couple of breaks at soldered joins, and some of the pixels have lost one channel or the another.

ihometechnology

New elf
Thanks guys..!!

Darylc - Are you revering to this “end cap”
I did read somewhere about this however wasn’t sure exactly how it was put together. Any chance you could a picture or 2 of how you did this? That would be awesome!

cheers again

darylc

404 darylc not found
yes, except the clear one. Have a search there are a thread or two on these forums showing how to do it.

franky_888

Full time elf
Purchased my strip last year (so 2nd season this year), they have holes in various places (see attached).

It looks as though something has been nibbling on them, but I don't know what. Can only assume birds or insects at the moment.

I didn't use the endcap as I figured I'd be careful enough with it.. didn't consider the vermin/insect factor though! Just something to be cautious of with strip, among everything else.

Attachments

• IMG_20191126_185456.jpg
    IMG_20191126_185456.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 37